Post-Care Tuition Waiver Program
The Saint Mary’s University Post-Care Tuition Waiver Program supports individuals who have lived in care in the Nova Scotia child welfare system – including Mi’kmaw Family and Children’s Services of Nova Scotia – or have been in receipt of the Department of Community Services' Youth Services Program. This bursary covers up to 100% of tuition and mandatory course fees for those selected and is renewable for the duration of the student's first post-secondary program, provided they maintain good academic standing.
Who can apply?
You are eligible to apply if:
- You have lived in care for at least one year in the Nova Scotia child welfare system, Mi’kmaw Family and Children’s Services of Nova Scotia, or The Department of Community Services, or have received Youth Services between the ages of 16-18 via signed agreement, as defined by Section 19 of the 2017 Children and Family Services Act.
- You have been accepted to a certificate, diploma or degree program as a part-time or full-time student for the upcoming academic year.
- You have financial need.
- You are pursuing your first University credential (certificate, diploma or degree).
- High School, Transfer and Mature students are eligible to apply.
- You are not eligible for, nor currently receiving the Nova Scotia Department of Community Services Educational Bursary Program for Children in Care or Post-Care and Custody Agreement.
- You will provide a signed verification of eligibility form completed by the Nova Scotia Department of Community Services Disclosure Program.
- You are willing to meet with a Financial Aid & Awards Officer to explore other sources of funding.
How do I apply?
We require verification of past child welfare involvement to ensure eligibility for the bursary. Applicants must first seek verification by contacting the Disclosure Program:
Department of Community Services
Toll-free (within Canada): 1-833-424-2755
2131 Gottingen Street, 3rd Floor
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 5Z7
Fill out the Post-Care Tuition Waiver Program Application (2023-24) and submit it, along with the verification letter, to the Saint Mary’s University Financial Aid & Awards office either by email to email@example.com or by fax to 902-420-5151.
The deadline to apply for the Post-Care Tuition Waiver Program for the September 2023 term is June 1st, 2023. Late submissions will not be considered.
Applications are reviewed by a selection committee. When reviewing applications, the committee will consider the following:
- Your financial need;
- Your educational goals, career aspirations and how this bursary can help you attain them.
The number of bursaries available may fluctuate from year to year, depending on funds available.
This award is renewable for students who are enrolled in multi-year programs based on good academic standing.
Contact Saint Mary’s University’s Financial Aid & Awards Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 902-496-8731. If you wish to meet with one of our Financial Aid & Awards Officers, you can book an appointment here.