Visiting University Students

If you are currently enrolled in a degree or diploma program at another university and would like to take courses at Saint Mary’s to transfer back to your home institution, you can apply as a Visiting Student. Applicants should provide either a current transcript from their home institution or a letter of permission. Visiting students are required to follow normal registration procedures. Applicants must follow all normal application deadlines.

It is the visiting student's responsibility to ensure the courses you complete at Saint Mary’s are transferable to your home institution. This generally means obtaining a letter of permission that lets us know that you have the approval to register in classes at Saint Mary’s.

Here is how you can apply to Saint Mary’s as a Visiting Student: 

  1. Complete the online application.
  2. Send supporting documentation, including either an official current transcript from your home institution or a letter of permission.
  3. Register for classes online through Self Service Banner. You can find your SMU ID number in your letter of acceptance. 

Note: Saint Mary's University does not require official proof of English language proficiency from visiting students but expects that undergraduate students have English proficiency equivalent to our minimum English proficiency requirements. If testing scores are not available, please submit a written statement issued by the international office or by a faculty member which attests that your English skills are adequate for undergraduate university study.

Participants in an international exchange program from one of our partner universities, please send your application to:

Miyuki Arai, International Activities
Saint Mary’s University
Halifax, NS B3H 3C3

Phone: 902-496-8725

Share: Page Feedback