University Transfer Students

Applying from another university?

A young person in a SMU t-shirt sits at a table doing work.

Have you taken courses at another college or university but wish to continue your education at Saint Mary's? We welcome you to apply as a transfer student. A member of our Admissions and Recruitment teams will be happy to work with you on your individual learning goals. Contact us at and specify that you're seeking consultation as a transfer student. 

Note that the equivalency of courses conducted at other institutions is at the discretion of the Dean of the Faculty. 

How to transfer

Admission requirements vary by academic program: 

  • Bachelor of Arts:  An equivalent of Grade 12 English 
  • Bachelor of Commerce:  An equivalent of Grade 12 English, an equivalent of Grade 12 Mathematics. 
  • Bachelor of Science:  The equivalent of Grade 12 English, the equivalent of Grade 12 Pre-Calculus, and two Grade 12 academic Science subjects. 

Note: If you have an overall average of C, but lack specific courses for Commerce or Science, you can be admitted to the Bachelor of Arts. Later, you may be eligible to transfer to your first-choice program if you have taken the courses needed to make up those requirements. You will also be required to provide your university or college transcripts. 

To apply: 

  • Apply online 
  • Arrange to have official copies of all university or college transcripts sent directly to our Admissions Office from each school. 
  • Request that your high school sends us an official copy of your last transcript. 
  • Include the $40 application fee. 
  • Submit the results of an English language proficiency test (if English is not your first language). This result must be sent to Saint Mary's directly from the testing centre where it was administered. 
Required to withdraw from another institution?

If you are required to withdraw from another institution, you will not be considered for admission at Saint Mary's University for 12 months following the date of dismissal. Admission will not be automatic, and you will be placed on probation.