Certificate in Policy Development & Implementation
Policy is the link between organizational intent and behaviour. It is reflected in what organizations do, and in what they do not do.
When it is clearly articulated, communicated, implemented and managed, policy provides focus and consistency. It clarifies intent and enables organizations to manage expectations; it enables leaders to empower and provide guidance to their people. It enables them to monitor, oversee and manage for results.
More and more organizations are opting to use documented policy statements and manuals as the primary means of providing that focus and consistency. However, many organizations struggle with what policy is, with when and how it is most effectively developed and applied and with how to articulate it in ways that are relevant, appropriately comprehensive, and understandable. Too often they misstep and the results are policies that aren’t really policies; policies that have no impact or unintended impacts - and policies that aren’t equitable, implementable or enforceable.
The Certificate in Policy Development & Implementation has been designed for practitioners of all experiences, taking one from the initial stages of assessing the need for a policy, developing, documenting and communicating the policy to the final stages of evaluating results. Participants will be introduced to strategies by experienced policy practitioners to enable them to lead, manage, support, and influence the policy process to ensure both equity and effectiveness.
Participants must complete Developing Policy that Performs first and then three remaining required seminars, within a two-year period. Seminars can be taken individually.
Certificate - 4 Seminars
Location: Online, evening and one in-class. Please see dates for details.
Developing Policy that Performs – Introduction and overview to effective policy and decision making
- September 27 - 29, 2022 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
- November 28 - 30, 2022 (Online evening session, 1 pm - 6 pm)
- February 6 - 8, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
- May 29 - 30 (31), 2023 (may run In-class, 9 am - 5:30 pm (TBA)
Implementing Policy and Managing Change - Implementation strategies and how best to communicate
- October 17 - 19, 2022 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
- January 25 - 27, 2023 (Online evening session, 1 pm - 6 pm)
- March 20 - 22, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
Writing Effective Policies and Procedures - The language of policy and writing for clarity.
- November 23 - 25, 2022 (Online, 9 am - 1 pm)
- February 13 - 15, 2023 ((Online evening Session, 1 pm - 5 pm)
- April 17 - 19, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 1 pm)
Policy Evaluation - How is the policy working? Do people understand it? Are there compliance concerns?
- December 14 - 15, 2022 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
- March 1 - 2, 2023 (Online evening session, 1 pm - 6 pm)
- April 24 - 25, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)