Certificate in Policy Development & Implementation
Policy is the link between organizational intent and behaviour. It is reflected in what organizations actually do, and in what they do not do, regardless of what they may have written in their formal policy documents.
When it is intentional, well designed, clearly articulated, fully implemented and managed, policy provides focus, direction and consistency. It clarifies intent and enables organizations to manage and meet internal and external expectations; it enables leaders to empower and provide guidance to their people. It enables them to monitor, oversee and manage for results.
However, many organizations struggle with what policy is, with when and how it is most effectively developed and implemented, and with how to articulate it at levels and in ways that are relevant and operational. Too often policy leaders and developers misjudge the level of effort required to inform and make good policy decisions or to communicate and implement those decisions fully and in ways that will enable and promote (or encourage) intended results.
The Certificate in Policy Development & Implementation provides practitioners with the understanding, skills and tools they can use to improve policy development and implementation in their organizations. They will be introduced to process and strategies by experienced policy practitioners to enable them to lead, manage, support, and influence the policy process to ensure both equity and effectiveness.
The Developing Policy that Performs course provides the foundation on which each of the remaining courses are built. Participants are strongly encouraged to complete it before taking any of the three remaining courses in the certificate. Seminars can be taken individually.
Certificate - 4 Seminars
Location: Online, evening and one in-class. Please see dates for details.
Developing Policy that Performs – Introduction and overview to effective policy and decision making
- November 28 - 30, 2022 (Online evening session, 1 pm - 6 pm)
- February 6 - 8, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
- May 29 - 30 (31), 2023 (may run In-class, 9 am - 5:30 pm (TBA)
Implementing Policy and Managing Change - Implementation strategies and how best to communicate
- October 17 - 19, 2022 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
- January 25 - 27, 2023 (Online evening session, 1 pm - 6 pm)
- March 20 - 22, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
Writing Effective Policies and Procedures - The language of policy and writing for clarity.
- November 23 - 25, 2022 (Online, 9 am - 1 pm)
- February 13 - 15, 2023 ((Online evening Session, 1 pm - 5 pm)
- April 17 - 19, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 1 pm)
Policy Evaluation - How is the policy working? Do people understand it? Are there compliance concerns?
- December 14 - 15, 2022 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)
- March 1 - 2, 2023 (Online evening session, 1 pm - 6 pm)
- April 24 - 25, 2023 (Online, 9 am - 2 pm)