Move In / Move Out
We are excited to welcome you to the Saint Mary’s University residence community!
Residence opens for the 2023 - 2024 Academic Year on September 2, 2023. Once residence is open, residents are able to move in at any time, 24 hours / day.
Please note check-in locations / times below:
- Loyola North and Loyola South residents should check-in at the Loyola Residence Desk in the Loyola Residence Building when they arrive.
- Rice and Vanier residents should check in at the Rice Residence Entrance / Desk if they arrive between 9:00am-2:00pm on Saturday, September 2 or Sunday, September 3. Otherwise, Rice and Vanier residents should check in at the Loyola Residence Desk.
We are NOT able to accommodate any early arrivals prior to September 2, 2023 (aside from approved groups such as RAs, Varsity Athletes, Pack Leaders, etc.).
Please note the following:
- ALL residents and supporters are required to abide by all University, government, Public Health, and NS Health authority COVID-related directives, guidelines and regulations that are in place.
Additional details or changes to move-in protocols will be posted as they are available. Please check your email frequently for updates on move in.
You should contact Housing & Residence (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns related to the residence move-in process here at Saint Mary’s.
If you do not arrive and check-in to your residence room by 5:00 PM on the first day of classes, your residence room reservation will be cancelled and your deposit will be forfeited. If you know that you will be arriving late you must contact the Housing & Residence Office and provide written notification (prior to the first day of classes) that you will be arriving late for residence.
Bringing Personal Items
Your residence room will be your home for the academic year; please bring whatever you need to make it comfortable. You are advised not to bring valuable possessions into residence. All personal belongings must be insured.
Please be aware that the University does not provide:
- Towels and face-cloths
- Bed Linens
- Soap and toiletry items for personal use
- Detergent for washing clothes and laundry bag/basket
- Coat Hangers
Note: In the interest of public safety, Saint Mary's, like most universities, has prohibited certain items from use in single student housing. Please refer to the Residence Handbook for more information on prohibited items and our pest control policy / procedures.
You are responsible for arranging adequate insurance coverage for all of your belongings. The University's insurance policy does not cover damage to or loss of your personal property, however caused. You should contact your family insurance agent to determine if you are covered under your parent's home insurance and if so, for what amount. You should also determine if additional insurance is required for more expensive items such as a camera, TV, stereo, computer or jewelry etc. The University will not assume responsibility for loss or damage to any possessions, however caused. You are responsible for reporting stolen personal items to the Halifax Regional Police.
Decorating and Caring for your Room or Apartment
No part of the residence premises may be painted, wall-papered, or permanently decorated without the written consent of the Department of Housing & Conference Services. Using nails, tacks, hooks, spikes, tape or other items to hang pictures, posters and other material on the walls in your room will result in damage and is not permitted. In instances where the aforementioned items are applied to painted surfaces within a room or apartment, an assessment will result for each item found to be used. Failure to remove these items will result in additional fines. This assessment is over and above any damage to the room caused by the use of the prohibited item.
The following 3 adhesives have been approved by the University:
- Magic-Mounts. Available at the SMU Campus Bookstore.
- 3M 'Command' Adhesive products. 3M products can be purchased at bookstores, hardware and department stores.
- Poster Putty. Available in most supply stores.
Note: This is not an endorsement by the University as to the efficacy of any of these products and students are encouraged to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Move-Out / Check-Out Procedures
Residents are able to remain in their residence room until the last day of the applicable term / exam period regardless of their final exam date. We do, however, encourage students to depart a soon as possible after their final exams / academic commitments, to provide a living-learning environment that is conducive to studying for those still finishing exams.
While Housing & Residence sends out reminder emails to residents regarding the end of term during the semester, residents should also be sure to check Important Housing Dates and/or consult the Housing Office for more information.
When you move out of residence you must follow the move out procedures listed below. (In rooms / apartments with more than one occupant each student must follow this procedure, not just the last student to leave.)
- All personal belongings and garbage must be removed from your room / apartment and you must thoroughly clean your room.
- You must check out at the Loyola Residence Desk.
- Your keys must be returned to the Loyola Residence Desk.
- All floor surfaces must be swept clean and washed.
- All wall surfaces must be washed (kitchen, hallways, bathrooms, and bedrooms)
- The bathroom sink, tub, tiles, and toilet must be scrubbed.
- The refrigerator must be emptied and wiped out. The freezer must be defrosted and cleaned.
- The oven, stove-top and burners must be thoroughly cleaned.
- In cases where students fail to follow the move out procedures, cleaning will be done by University custodians / contract cleaners and the student will be billed an appropriate amount for labour and materials.
Additional details or changes to move-out protocols will be posted as they are available. Please check the preferred email you have on file with the university for important updates.
You should contact Housing & Residence (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or concerns related to the residence move-out / check-out process here at Saint Mary’s.