Demonstrate Your English Skills
It’s important to speak and understand English at a level that will allow you to make the most of your classes, assignments, and study groups. Our language requirements are designed to ensure you the best possible education. If English is not your first language, you may need to provide your scores from an English language proficiency test.
If you have not attended an English language secondary school, one of the following is required:
- IELTS Academic: minimum score of 6.5 with no individual score below 6.0
- IELTS Online Indicator Test: minimum score of 6.5 with no individual score below 6.0
- Cambridge B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency: minimum score of 176 with no individual score below 169
- TOEFL iBT: minimum score of 80 overall with no band score below 20
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition: minimum score of 80 overall with no band score below 20
- CAEL: minimum score of 60 with no individual score below 50
- Pearson PTE: score of 58 or better
- Duolingo English Test (DET): score of 120 or higher
- Successful completion of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Level 6 or SMUPlus at the Language Centre, Saint Mary’s University
- Completion of university preparatory English at a Languages Canada accredited school recognized by Saint Mary’s
- Completion of 3 years in a Canadian, British or an American-patterned secondary school where the language of instruction and examination is English
If you have not attended an English language secondary school or do not have a previous degree completed totally in English, you may need to provide your scores from an English language proficiency test. Please see Graduate Studies Language Requirements for details.
English Language Support on Campus
To help you succeed at Saint Mary’s, we have excellent ESL services like the Writing Centre and Academic Communications on campus.
Given the recent suspension of activities at English language proficiency testing centres around the world, Saint Mary’s University will accept the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a means to demonstrate English competency, effective immediately. The Duolingo English Test is an English proficiency test that can be taken online and on-demand. Students can take the test and share it with Saint Mary's through Duolingo's sending scores process or by this Saint Mary's specific link. We will require a minimum Duolingo English Test score of 120 for direct admission to undergraduate programs. Further English proficiency testing may be required upon your arrival to campus.
Want to improve your English? Find out how we can help.