FGSR Executive Committee
Terms of Reference
FGSR Executive Committee
(established October 2022 – replaces previous FGSR Graduate Studies Committee)
Serve as the representative voice of Saint Mary’s University faculty on all matters related to graduate programming and graduate students, with the exception of graduate student awards, and function as the primary advisory committee for these issues within the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Provide expert advice and commentary related to any proposed changes to the Graduate Academic Calendar (graduate level regulations, programs, courses).
Role and Responsibilities
- The Committee will review, monitor, and advise on adjustments of regulations for graduate programs. The Committee holds the general responsibility for the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research with respect to the Graduate Academic Calendar, including review of proposed revisions to programs and courses Specifically:
- review any proposed changes to Graduate academic regulations which are proposed for presentation to the Senate Committee on Academic Regulations.
- review any proposed changes to graduate level courses which are submitted by any graduate program.
- review any proposed changes to graduate program degree requirements which are submitted by any graduate program, including major changes which may subsequently also require MPHEC approval.
- review any proposed new graduate programs (certificates, diplomas, Masters, Doctoral, etc.), including those requiring subsequent MPHEC approval.
The review of any such proposals noted in the above items shall incorporate the commentary, advice, and/or recommendations provided by the FGSR Curriculum Committee (formerly known at the FGSR Executive) on these items.
Approval of the Committee should normally be obtained prior to such changes being forwarded on behalf of FGSR to either the Senate Committee on Academic Regulations or the Senate Curriculum Committee.
- The Committee will monitor, through receipt of reports, on issues of graduate student admissions and program continuance, and recommend changes where necessary.
- The Committee will monitor, through receipt of reports, on such matters as graduate student recruitment, promotion of graduate programs, professional development and placement of graduate students and post-graduation tracking of graduate alumni (and recommend changes where necessary).
• All Graduate Program Coordinators/Directors
• FGSR Dean (Chair), FGSR Associate Dean, Graduate Studies Officers