How to Register
Now that you’ve browsed our course options, selected the ones you want and made a timetable, you can register through our self-service Banner System.
Academic year registration begins in April and continues until the second week of classes each term. Check our Registration Dates page to find out when to register. Spring and summer session registration begins in February and continues until the first week of classes in each term.
Go to Self Service Banner and follow these instructions to register for courses.
- Select “Enter Self-Service Banner”
- Enter your smu.ca email address and password. Click here if you need help to access your account.
- Select the "Student" tab at the top
- Select "Registration"
- Select "Add or Drop Classes"
- Select the appropriate term from the drop-down menu and click "Submit".
- Enter the CRN (5-digit number) for the courses, labs and recitations you want to register for in the "Add Classes Worksheet".
- Click "Submit Changes".
After submitting your changes, two things may appear:
- A list of successfully added courses (with an option to drop them). You are successfully registered for these courses.
- You may also see a list of courses that could not be added, with error messages explaining why. You are not registered for these courses.
If a course is at capacity, check if there is a Waitlist offered (WL in Banner). Visit our Waitlist Registration page for information on waitlisting and how to use this option.
Visit Common Registration Q & A page for more information and tips.
Questions? Contact the Centre for New Students for assistance with selecting classes, building a timetable and registering online.