BA Advising Centre
Book an Appointment
BA Academic Advisors are experienced in helping students navigate their academic journey in the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Environmental Studies degree programs. We recommend that you visit a BA Academic Advisor at least once a year to make sure you're on track to meet your educational goals.
The BA Advising Centre offers a blend of in-person and virtual services for students. Both in-person and virtual appointments must be booked online. Appointments are approximately 20 minutes long and can be scheduled up to two weeks in advance.
Students intending to complete a major, double major, honours, concentration or minor in psychology should book with the Psychology Academic Advising appointment option below. Students in all other programs should book with the Arts Academic Advising option.
Drop-in Academic Advising
In-person drop-In Academic Advising
Stop by McNally Main 218 during these times for a drop-in appointment with an Academic Advisor:
Mondays 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Tuesdays 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Wednesdays 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Thursdays 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Friday 1:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Virtual Drop-in Advising
Join the Zoom meeting at any point during the session for one-on-one advising. Students are placed in the waiting room as they join, and the Advisor will admit students one by one through the session.
Wednesdays 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (AT) Click to join
Thursdays 2:30–3:30 p.m. (AT) Click to join
Fridays 10:00–11:00 a.m. (AT) Click to join
Join using the links above or find the events in the "Upcoming Events" section in the BA Advising Centre Brightspace.
Questions? Email BAadvising@smu.ca
- Students can continue to email inquiries and questions to BAadvising@smu.ca (please include your A# and full name).
- Virtual Academic Advising is still available. Select from the current options of telephone or video chat with Microsoft Teams (available through Office 365; link will be sent with appointment confirmation).
- Please continue to email any forms, such as major declaration, to BAadvising@smu.ca. Paper forms and documentation will not be accepted.
- In-person drop-in advising is also available. Please check the BA Advising Brightspace page for the schedule.
- In-person advising appointments are also available to students through a booked appointment.
- Advising will be offered in 20-minute appointments at the BA Advising Centre, located in the McNally Main Building on the second floor. Students are asked to wait in the designated waiting area,
Download the BA Advising Syllabus 2022-2023 for detailed information on academic advising, important dates and resources available to you. We also encourage registered Arts students to connect with us on the BA Advising Brightspace page.
- The Counselling Centre can assist and offer support whether you're dealing with exam stress or mental health issues. A healthy mind is key to academic success.
- The Fred Smithers Centre offers support and accommodations for students with disabilities. Register for its services through an online application process.
- The Patrick Power Library is a great place to research topics and information for papers, projects and more. Log in with your s# for access to an abundance of online and print resources. If you could use some research assistance, one of the librarians would be glad to help you.
- The Studio for Teaching and Learning has links to tutorial videos, writing support, Brightspace help and much more. Its resources can help students navigate the transition to learning in a virtual university environment.
- The Writing Centre can help with planning your papers all the way through to checking your citation formatting, with tutorials, handouts, workshops, or one-on-one appointments.