BA Advising Centre
BA Academic Advisors are experienced in helping students navigate their academic journey in the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Environmental Studies degree programs. We recommend that you visit a BA Academic Advisor at least once a year to make sure you're on track to meet your educational goals.
The BA Advising Centre offers a blend of in-person and virtual services for students. Both in-person and virtual appointments must be booked online. Appointments are approximately 20 minutes long and can be scheduled up to two weeks in advance.
Drop-In Academic Advising is also available in the BA Advising Centre in McNally Main 218 during these times:
- Mondays: 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Thursdays: 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Students intending to complete a major, double major, honours, concentration or minor in psychology should book with the Psychology Academic Advising appointment option below. Students in all other programs should book with the Arts Academic Advising option.
- Students can continue to email inquiries and questions to BAadvising@smu.ca (please include your A# and full name).
- Virtual Academic Advising is still available. Select from the current options of telephone or video chat with Microsoft Teams (available through Office 365; link will be sent with appointment confirmation).
- Please continue to email any forms, such as major declaration, to BAadvising@smu.ca. Paper forms and documentation will not be accepted.
- In-person (on campus) drop-in advising will be available for Fall 2022. Please check the BA Advising Brightspace page for the schedule.
- In-person (on campus) advising appointments are also available to students through a booked appointment.
- Advising will be offered in 20-minute appointments at the BA Advising Centre, located in the McNally Main Building on the second floor. Students are asked to wait in the designated waiting area.
- Students are asked to arrive no more than 5 minutes before their appointment.
- Masks must be worn at all times, and all campus health and safety protocols must be followed. If you’re feeling unwell, please cancel and reschedule your appointment.
Download the BA Advising Syllabus 2022-2023 for detailed information on academic advising, important dates and resources available to you. We also encourage registered Arts students to connect with us on the BA Advising Brightspace page.
- The Counselling Centre can assist and offer support whether you're dealing with exam stress or mental health issues. A healthy mind is key to academic success.
- The Fred Smithers Centre offers support and accommodations for students with disabilities. Register for its services through an online application process.
- The Patrick Power Library is a great place to research topics and information for papers, projects and more. Log in with your s# for access to an abundance of online and print resources. If you could use some research assistance, one of the librarians would be glad to help you.
- The Studio for Teaching and Learning has links to tutorial videos, writing support, Brightspace help and much more. Its resources can help students navigate the transition to learning in a virtual university environment.
- The Writing Centre can help with planning your papers all the way through to checking your citation formatting, with tutorials, handouts, workshops, or one-on-one appointments.