Father Stewart Medal for Excellence in Teaching
Fr. William A. Stewart, S.J. Medal for Excellence in Teaching
Father William A. Stewart was a Professor of Philosophy and an Administrator at Saint Mary’s from 1950-1982, working in the Faculty of Arts and holding various Administration positions during a time of major growth at the University. He continued to volunteer on committees until 1997. Father Stewart was one of the first professors at Saint Mary’s to embrace inclusivity by welcoming women into his classroom, and helping young women become full-time students before the University introduced co-ed education evening classes in 1952. He was known for his strong beliefs in promoting accessible education to marginalized communities and was also very much involved in promoting teaching innovation and excellence on campus.
This award is open to current full-time faculty members who have completed at least five years of teaching service at Saint Mary's University and have made significant contributions to the education of Saint Mary's students through excellence in teaching and service. Full criteria can be found in the Nomination Dossier.
The Selection Committee will consider candidates who:
Members of the Saint Mary's University Alumni Association, University employees, and students (who are not currently enrolled in courses taught by the candidate) may submit a Nomination Dossier, which should make a persuasive case using evidence from a variety of sources, including the candidate, students, peers, former students/alumni, and exemplary teaching materials.
The Nomination Dossier is available for download below. The Nomination period has been extended to April 14, 2020.
Members of the Committee may be substituted in the event of conflicts of interest, including current working or teacher-student relationships, or previous support of the nomination of any of the current year's candidates.
The nomination period for 2020 will run from February 3-April 14, 2020. Please note the deadline has been extended due in response to the Univeristy's shift to virutal operations.
Download the Father William A. Stewart, S.J. Medal nomination dossier.
- 2019: Dr. Roby Austin
- 2018: Dr. David Bourgeois, Psychology
- 2017: Dr. Marc G. Doucet, Political Science
- 2016: Dr. Thomas Kozloski, Accounting
- 2015: Dr. Ellen Farrell, Management
- 2014: Dr. Maryanne Fisher, Psychology
- 2013: Dr. Gene Barrett, Sociology and Criminology
- 2012: Dr. Colleen Barber, Biology
- 2011: Dr. Brian Bartlett, English
- 2010: Dr. Barry Gorman, Accounting
- 2009: Dr. Pawan Lingras, Mathematics and Computing Sciences
- 2008: Dr. Shelagh Crooks, Philosophy
- 2007: Dr. Stephen Davis, Anthropology
- 2006: Dr. Edna Keeble, Political Science
- 2005: Dr. Adam Sarty, Astronomy & Physics
- 2004: Dr. Porter Scobey, Mathematics & Computing Science
- 2003: Dr. Janet Hill, English
- 2002: Dr. Gillian Thomas, English
- 2001: Dr. Janet Gregory, Finance & Management Science
- 2000: Dr. Eric Lee, Finance & Management Science
- 1999: Dr. Robert Singer, Chemistry
- 1998: Dr. David Cone, Biology
- 1997: Dr. Paul Muir, Mathematics & Computing Science
- 1996: Dr. Ronald Landes, Political Science
- 1995: Prof. Nicola Young, Accounting
- 1994: Dr. Cyril Byrne, English
- 1993: Dr. Janet Baker, English
- 1992: Dr. Francis Phillips, Education
- 1991: Dr. Philip Street, Psychology
- 1990: Dr. Andrew Seaman, English
- 1989: Dr. Peter March, Philosophy
- 1988: Dr. Jack Ginsburg, Chemistry
- 1987: Prof. Edward McBride, Political Science
- 1986: Dr. John Young, Chemistry
- 1985: Dr. David Perrier, Sociology
- 1984: Prof. Dermot Mulrooney, Engineering
- 1983: Prof. David Hope, Accounting