Associate Alumni of the Year Award
Associate Alumni Award
You don’t have to be a Saint Mary’s graduate to be recognized as a valuable member of our community. The Associate Alumni Award recognizes those who are not alumni but have shown dedication and support to the University and its endeavours. A maximum of three candidates per year will be granted this distinction, and given full Alumni Association privileges.
All University employees and members of the Saint Mary's University Alumni Association may submit a one-page letter of recommendation for a candidate, illustrating their suitability for this award. A completed Alumni Awards Nomination Form must accompany the letter.
Candidates are considered annually by the Saint Mary's University Alumni Association's Awards & Nomination Committee.
The nomination period for 2022 is now closed.
Ann Smith Boswick is a born and bred Haligonian. After attending N.S.C.A.D., her career in sales started with William B. Greenwood Realty in 1978. Ann is active in the Real Estate Community and has served on many of the committees of the Halifax Dartmouth Industry. Ann is a Keller Williams Luxury International Agent with KW Select Realty. She also holds an honorary membership of the Nova Scotia Real Estate Association.
Ann is a dedicated community volunteer and has enjoyed several positions on local boards and committees in the HRM including, the Halifax Y.W.C.A., The Heart & Stroke and The Breast Cancer Associations, the I.W.K. Auxiliary, just to name a few.
Her high energy and love of life is shared with her wonderful husband of 53 years, Carl, their three fine sons, partners, grandchildren, golden retrievers and wide circle of friends. Ann loves to cook, entertain, listen to music, read, walk with friends,[ two & four legged), decorate, garden, be active & support local sports, especially Saint Mary's University Teams.
Ann has always been a big supporter of Saint Mary’s and has a special connection with the Women’s hockey team.
A graduate of Mount Saint Vincent University with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Janis is a former Director of the Aberdeen Hospital Foundation and a National Director of the Fathers of Confederation Buildings Trust. A dedicated community volunteer, Janis also served on Mount Saint Vincent University’s Board of Governors from 2009-2015 and was Co-Chair of the Leaders of The Way campaign, Pictou County United Way in 2017. Janis is also Chair of the David and Faye Sobey Foundation and a Trustee of the Sobey Art Foundation.
Janis has a special connection to Saint Mary’s University and is committed to its students. A long-time volunteer for Saint Mary’s, Janis’ roles include membership on the David Sobey Centre Endowment Committee and the Sobeys Scholarship Endowment Fund Committee. Janis is also a member of the Campaign Steering Committee and a volunteer for A World Without Limits: The Campaign for Saint Mary’s University. Janis is a tremendous champion and advocate for Saint Mary’s University and its students and actively participates in the life of the university throughout the year.
Janis enjoys skiing, golf and travel. Married to Christopher Hames, they have 4 daughters, all of whom graduated from Saint Mary’s.
Roberta has worked as a leader for over 30 years while spending the last 9 years at Saint Mary’s University as the Custodial Manager of Facilities, in addition to managing the front desk staff at the Homburg Centre. Roberta takes pride in keeping our campus clean for all students, faculty and staff.
Roberta holds a Tourism and Hospitality Management Degree from Mount Saint Vincent University and she continues to learn through Professional Development opportunities at Saint Mary’s.
Roberta has been the co-chair of the Health and Safety committee for the last 9 years and has been the United Way co-chair for the last 5 years. She enjoys devoting her time to United Way and bringing Saint Mary’s Community together. She is always ready to support events on campus and go the extra mile.
Roberta is also the proud mom of son Nicolas – a recent MBA graduate from Saint Mary’s, and daughter Elizabeth – who attends NSCAD.
- 2021: Derek E. Isaacs
- 2020: Rakesh Jain FCPA, CPA
- 2019: Glen & Nancy Holmes
- 2018: Sheila Donahoe and Cathie Ross
- 2017: Dr. Patricia Bradshaw, Lawrence Freeman Q.C and Shirley Boudreau
- 2016: David Gauthier
- 2015: Lori Forbes
- 2014: Gary Schmeisser
- 2013: Wally Bowes
- 2012: John Landry
- 2011: Joe Chrvala Greg King
- 2010: Donna Filek
- 2009: Fred Smithers and Kathy MacFarlane
- 2008 Kathy Naulls and Dave Randall
- 2007 Tony Arab, Wadih Fares, Frank Matheson and Paul Sobey
- 2005 Carol MacLean and Jennifer E. Ozon
- 2004 Patricia Bishara and David J. Grace
- 2002 Blake Nill
- 2001 Trevor Stienburg, Elizabeth Colwell and Stephanie Babcock
- 2000 Gabrielle Morrison, Nicola M. Young and Mary Lou Gomes
- 1999 Jean Larsen and Paul Dixon
- 1998 Denis LeClaire and Bernadine Halliday
- 1997 Ann MacDonald, William H. McGrath and Frank P. Dougherty
- 1996 Toni P. Croft, Virginia Jackson and Gloria Jewers
- 1995 J. Colin Dodds and Christine MacGillivray
- 1994 Colin Howell, Joan Whitney, Philip MacDonald and Daniel G. Stone
- 1992 Geraldine Coll, Betty Jean Frenette and Paul Mason
- 1990 Fred Voeltz and Ralph Curran
- 1989 Randy Nesbitt
- 1987 Fred P. Laphen
- 1986 Jill Linquist
- 1985 Paula Glencross, M. Shields, Joseph Wilson, D. H. Gillis, J. Lynch, T. Wardell and Hermann F. Schwind
- 1984 David F. Zareski, William H. Richardson and Larry Uteck
- 1982 Dermot L. Mulrooney, Carol Markesino, Mary Sun, Peter Weal and Heinz M. Morstatt
- 1981 Kenneth L. Ozmon and Owen Carrigan
- 1980 John A. Mills
- 1979 Charles J. MacDonald, Richard W. Lowery and Belinda S. Gallagher
- 1978 Charles A. Vaughan, Doug Wright and Brian P. Heaney
- 1975 Michael A. Overington, Douglas Day, Anthony Farrell and Gordon MacLeod
- 1974 Keith G. Fillmore, Joseph Jabbra and Roy W. Clements
- 1973 John C. Young
- 1971 Elizabeth A. Chard
- 1970 Henry J. Labelle
- 1969 Roger A. MacDonald
- 1967 K. McKenna, Robert MacDougall and Verdon Creighton
- 1963 Henry Habib