Associate Alumni of the Year Award
Associate Alumni Award
You don’t have to be a Saint Mary’s graduate to be recognized as a valuable member of our community. The Associate Alumni Award recognizes those who are not alumni but have shown dedication and support to the University and its endeavours. A maximum of three candidates per year will be granted this distinction, and given full Alumni Association privileges.
All University employees and members of the Saint Mary's University Alumni Association may submit a one-page letter of recommendation for a candidate, illustrating their suitability for this award. A completed Alumni Awards Nomination Form must accompany the letter.
Candidates are considered annually by the Saint Mary's University Alumni Association's Awards & Nomination Committee.
The deadline to nominate a candidate for the 2021 Associate Alumni of the Year Award is May 28, 2021.
Rakesh Jain FCPA, CPA
After thirty-three years as the leader of a public advisory and assurance firm, Rakesh merged with Baker Tilly Nova Scotia in 2018 and now leads their corporate finance division.
Rakesh graduated from Dalhousie with a Commerce degree in 1978 and went on to receive his Fellow (FCPA) designation. He has dedicated much of his time and support to Saint Mary’s University over the years. In addition to teaching at SMU for eight years, he has also served on the Board of Governors and was part of several Committees for five years. Rakesh continues to be involved with Saint Mary’s as a strategic advisor.
In addition to SMU, Rakesh has been active in the community, serving on volunteer boards, including Neptune Theatre, Symphony Nova Scotia and the Halifax Chamber of Commerce. He is an avid golfer and is a member of Ashburn Golf Course and Copperhead.
- 2019: Glen & Nancy Holmes
- 2018: Sheila Donahoe and Cathie Ross
- 2017: Dr. Patricia Bradshaw, Lawrence Freeman Q.C and Shirley Boudreau
- 2016: David Gauthier
- 2015: Lori Forbes
- 2014: Gary Schmeisser
- 2013: Wally Bowes
- 2012: John Landry
- 2011: Joe Chrvala Greg King
- 2010: Donna Filek
- 2009: Fred Smithers and Kathy MacFarlane
- 2008 Kathy Naulls and Dave Randall
- 2007 Tony Arab, Wadih Fares, Frank Matheson and Paul Sobey
- 2005 Carol MacLean and Jennifer E. Ozon
- 2004 Patricia Bishara and David J. Grace
- 2002 Blake Nill
- 2001 Trevor Stienburg, Elizabeth Colwell and Stephanie Babcock
- 2000 Gabrielle Morrison, Nicola M. Young and Mary Lou Gomes
- 1999 Jean Larsen and Paul Dixon
- 1998 Denis LeClaire and Bernadine Halliday
- 1997 Ann MacDonald, William H. McGrath and Frank P. Dougherty
- 1996 Toni P. Croft, Virginia Jackson and Gloria Jewers
- 1995 J. Colin Dodds and Christine MacGillivray
- 1994 Colin Howell, Joan Whitney, Philip MacDonald and Daniel G. Stone
- 1992 Geraldine Coll, Betty Jean Frenette and Paul Mason
- 1990 Fred Voeltz and Ralph Curran
- 1989 Randy Nesbitt
- 1987 Fred P. Laphen
- 1986 Jill Linquist
- 1985 Paula Glencross, M. Shields, Joseph Wilson, D. H. Gillis, J. Lynch, T. Wardell and Hermann F. Schwind
- 1984 David F. Zareski, William H. Richardson and Larry Uteck
- 1982 Dermot L. Mulrooney, Carol Markesino, Mary Sun, Peter Weal and Heinz M. Morstatt
- 1981 Kenneth L. Ozmon and Owen Carrigan
- 1980 John A. Mills
- 1979 Charles J. MacDonald, Richard W. Lowery and Belinda S. Gallagher
- 1978 Charles A. Vaughan, Doug Wright and Brian P. Heaney
- 1975 Michael A. Overington, Douglas Day, Anthony Farrell and Gordon MacLeod
- 1974 Keith G. Fillmore, Joseph Jabbra and Roy W. Clements
- 1973 John C. Young
- 1971 Elizabeth A. Chard
- 1970 Henry J. Labelle
- 1969 Roger A. MacDonald
- 1967 K. McKenna, Robert MacDougall and Verdon Creighton
- 1963 Henry Habib