Taking Courses at Other Institutions

Letters of Permission (LOP)

Take a class at another university while attending Saint Mary’s

If you are a Saint Mary’s student, you can request permission to take a class or classes at another university. You will need a Letter of Permission (LOP) before you register or apply to another university.

Apply to be a Visiting Student at Saint Mary’s

Are you a student at another university interested in taking a class at Saint Mary’s?

Apply to be a visiting student!

Follow these steps! Start early as Letters of Permission take time.

  1. Download the Letter of Permission form 
  2. Complete the form to indicate the classes you wish to take.
    • Your “Host Institution” is the university you wish to attend.
    • If you don’t know the SMU equivalent, have your academic advisor complete this part. View our online transfer credit database for a list of popular equivalents.
  3. Print the course descriptions or outlines for the classes you want to take.
    • Use descriptions from University websites and online calendars or
    • Check our transfer credit database online. 
  4. Visit your Faculty Advising Office to have your LOP and course descriptions approved.
  5. Bring your approved forms to the Service Centre.
  6. Apply to the host institution as a Visiting Student. You will need your LOP.
  7. Upon completion, order a transcript from the Host University and send direct to: Saint Mary’s University, Systems & Records, 923 Robie Street, Halifax NS B3H 3C3.

Important notes for students taking Letter of Permission (LOP) classes

You must apply and register at the Host University
An approved LOP request does not guarantee admission to the host institution, nor does it guarantee a place in the class. You must apply and register according to the school’s procedure.

Pay the Host University direct and on time
It is your responsibility to pay the host and Saint Mary’s (if you are taking courses here) on time. Example: If you take one class at Dalhousie in September and four classes at Saint Mary’s, pay Dalhousie for one class and Saint Mary’s for four. Remember to check the due dates as not all universities’ deadlines are the same.

Send a transcript to transfer the class back to Saint Mary’s
After your class is finished and graded, order a transcript to be sent to: Saint Mary’s University, Systems & Records, 923 Robie Street, Halifax NS B3H 3C3.

All grades (including failing grades) for classes completed on a Letter of Permission at Canadian universities will be recorded on your Saint Mary’s transcript and included in GPA calculations. Grades for courses taken outside Canada will show a grade of “TR” and are not included in your GPA.

Dean’s List: You will to complete an application form.

How will my credits transfer?

Learn more about how transfer credits are assessed and browse our transfer credit database.

If you have a student loan or a scholarship, the Service Centre needs to know
If you are taking classes on a LOP, and you have received a student loan or a scholarship, provide the Service Centre [link] with proof of your registration at the host institution (timetable, invoice, etc.) so that we can process your loan or renew a scholarship. 


Share: Page Feedback