Dr. Michael Durland
Dr. Michael Durland BComm’87 DComm’10 (SMU), PhD (Queen’s) is Chancellor of Saint Mary’s University.
Dr. Durland is the former Group Head and CEO, Global Banking and Markets, for Scotiabank. He retired from Scotiabank in 2016 to pursue a variety of business, philanthropic, and academic interests. Today, he is the CEO of Melancthon Capital.
In addition to his role as CEO of Melancthon Capital, Dr. Durland is:
- a founding principal in Cabot Links;
- Chair of the Board of Directors of Price Street Inc.;
- Chair of the Board of Directors of TruLeaf Sustainable Agriculture;
- Chair of the Board of Directors of Dessa;
- Chair of the Board of Directors of Receptiviti;
- a member of the Board of the Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation;
- a member of the Board of the True Patriot Love Foundation;
- a professor of global practice, Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy at the University of Toronto.
Dr. Durland was installed as University Chancellor at a convocation ceremony on May 15, 2019.
“As an institution, we are incredibly honoured and proud that Michael Durland is taking on the role of Chancellor of the University,” said Saint Mary’s President and Vice-Chancellor Dr. Robert Summerby-Murray. “His long and successful career in corporate Canada and as an entrepreneur and investor positions him as an excellent role model and inspiration for our students and our community. This appointment builds upon his loyal and generous support of our students as a mentor, university champion and through the Durland Innovation Fund.”