University Bridging Program
This course is for:
- Advanced level students who wish to study one or two undergraduate courses (3 or 6 credit hours per term), depending on their level of English proficiency
- Students who have a conditional admission to Saint Mary's University
This course helps advanced level students prepare for university by combining English studies with study in one or two content areas. Students in the University Bridging Program study 15 hours per week of English for Academic Purposes. In addition, they take one or two undergraduate courses (3 or 6 credit hours per term), in subjects chosen in consultation with Saint Mary's Office of Admissions and New Students.
To enter the University Bridging Program (UBP), students must submit the following:
- Proof of admission to an undergraduate program at Saint Mary's University;
- Proof of one of the minimum language requirements as listed below; and
- A completed application form and deposit for the Fall, Winter or Spring semester of the Intensive English Program.
Information and application forms for undergraduate programs can be obtained by contacting the Enrolment Services Office at the following address:
Enrolment Services Office
Saint Mary's University
923 Robie Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 3C3
Official language test results must be sent to the Enrolment Services Office at the above address. For those planning on writing the TOEFL test, Saint Mary's institution code is 0958.
If students have one of the following minimum official language proficiency scores, they may take one undergraduate course (3 credit hours per term) during the UBP:
- 61 on the TOEFL iBT (With no individual skill below 15)
- 40 on the CAEL (With no individual band below 40)
- 5.5 on the IELTS (With no individual band below 5.0)
If students have one of the following minimum official language proficiency scores, they may take two undergraduate courses (6 credit hours per term) during the UBP:
- 72 on the TOEFL iBT (With no individual skill below 18)
- 50 on the CAEL (With no individual band below 40)
- 6.0 on the IELTS (With no individual band below 5.5)
UBP students will be allowed to take a full undergraduate course load upon successful completion of their language studies in the Intensive English Program.
- This is a limited enrolment program and space is limited. We encourage you to register early. We must receive your completed application at least three weeks before the start of the UBP semester.
- Students must be present on the first day of class. You may not arrive late for the UBP.
- Students who have not met minimum attendance or grade requirements for previous semesters, or those who have withdrawn from previous semesters of the IEP, are not eligible for the UBP. They may re-qualify by attending at least one further semester in the Intensive English Program in which they have satisfactory attendance and scores.
- Students registered for UBP are ineligible to transfer to EAP for the concurrent semester.
- Fall, Winter and Spring programs offered in 16 week sessions
- An intensive English program of 15 hours per week
- Academic and cultural orientation
- Small classes: average class size 15-16, maximum 18
- Full university facilities including libraries, health clinic and computer laboratories
- Access to Saint Mary's world class recreational facilities including fitness centre, health club, courts, etc.
- Full-time International Student Advisor and Department of Student Services
Important: The cost for the University Bridging Program is for the English program only. It does not include tuition for the undergraduate course, International Student Differential Fee, Health Insurance, Student Union fees or any fees associated with undergraduate study. These are paid on registration for the undergraduate course. Contact us for more details.