Leadership Skills for the New Manager
So, you've mastered your craft, you've learned the ropes. Now what? You have been, or will be, promoted into a leadership role.
What does a manager really do? Management can be both challenging and rewarding and this seminar will help you navigate this new role. Knowing what to expect will give you the confidence to jump in with both feet. The interactive nature of this workshop gives you ample opportunity to listen to and learn from the other participants.
PRE-SEMINAR PREPARATION: Self-assessment is a key ingredient in this seminar. To help you understand your current management competency, you will be asked to do an online assessment. When you complete the assessment, a report that is yours to keep and use during the seminar will be created.
Leadership Skills for the New Manager is a required seminar for the Certificate in Skills for New Managers.
Online: 3 partial days, 9 am - 1 pm, Atlantic Time
- June 12 - 14, 2023 (Online) FULL- waitlist only
- September 27 - 29, 2023 (Online)
- January 17 - 19, 2024 (Online)
- April 22 - 24, 2024 (Online)
- June 19 - 21, 2024 (Online)
Facilitator: Brenda Fair, BA, CPHR
Psychometric profiling for management
- Complete a feedback instrument that assesses Work Style, Energy and Drive, Ability to Work with Others, Problem Solving Ability, Dealing with Stress and Pressure and Identifying and Managing Change and other key factors required by managers
- Receive a 25-page assessment report that can be used as a career path development tool
The Leader Defined
- Qualities of a high-performance leader
- Leaders vs. Managers
Leadership Competency Development
- Self-reflection and Team Development
- Review of the WPI assessments
- Your leadership style
The Role of the Leader
- Managing interpersonal conflict
- Situational Leadership
- Transition to management
- Hands on exploration of typical situations where leadership skills are required
Creating a plan
Develop a 'Go Forward' action plan to focus your own personal and professional development and to integrate into your career development plans
What You Will Learn
- How your work style, problem solving ability, communication style, and leadership style can be utilized to make the change to management
- Learn how to adapt and adjust your habits and patterns as a leader
- Compare various leadership styles and identify your personal prominent style and its ramifications
- Leave with usable tools and templates to assist in your day-to-day leadership
- The reason for and how to develop a 'Go Forward' action plan
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- are a professional and/or staff member contemplating a career in management
- are a professional and/or staff member who will be assuming a management position within your organization