"SMUs Computer Science Department has been a major asset in SimplyCast's voyage into gamification and in aiding SimplyCast to make the application easier to use. Through the Department's suggestions and user interfaces, we have been able to identify the features users use and we have been able to teach users about what features are available that they might not be aware of. The lessons SimplyCast has learned from SMU are invaluable and will help propel the company forward. "
Selected Funding Programs
View a list of Applied Research Funding Opportunities
To increase research and development in Atlantic Canada research facilities and strengthen innovation systems by building private and public sector alliances. The program support can be from $500,000 to $3 million dollars for up to 5 years. Applications can be submitted anytime.
ACOA Innovative Communities Fund
The Innovative Communities Fund (ICF) invests in strategic projects that build the economies of Atlantic Canada's communities.
Working in partnership with Atlantic Canada communities and stakeholders, ICF builds on the strengths of communities and provides the tools needed to identify opportunities available for their sustainable economic growth. Applications can be submitted anytime.
Springboard Atlantic – Innovation Mobilization Program
Promotes partnership development of effective regional partnerships with industry. The maximum program support is $15,000 for up to one year.
To build and develop a prototype of technology for marketing purposes. The maximum program support is $5,000 for up to one year.
Proof of Concept
To support early stage technology validation and market connections in Atlantic Canada assigned to an institution. The program can provide up to $20,000 support over one year.
Patent and Legal Fund
To protect IP to attract early stage investment technology transfer in Atlantic Canada. Up to $15,000 support can be provided over two years.
Note: Only research institutions that are members of Springboard Atlantic are eligible to apply to Springboard funding programs. A total of 65.38% of the costs are covered by Springboard, the other 34.62% cash must come from matching sources.
To support SME driven requests for direct research and development support, faculty maybe approached by the Office of Innovation and Community Engagement (OICE) to work on a project. The maximum contribution is $5,000 over 3 to 5 days, with no cash contribution required by the company.
NSERC Engage Grant
To develop new partnerships by developing short term research and development projects that address a company specific problem. The maximum contribution is $25,000 over 6 months. No cash contribution from the company is required.
Innovacorp Productivity and Innovation Voucher Program
Tier I - To assist eligible business companies namely SMEs to acquire the direct assistance they need to help make their business more innovative and productive. A maximum contribution of $15,000 over 6 months is available. Applications can be submitted after June.
Tier 2 – To build on projects approved for Tier I funding. A maximum contribution of $25,000 over 6 months is available. Applications can be submitted after June.
Deadline: ~ July
SSHRC Connection Grant
This program is geared to assist with assembling larger SSHRC grants. The funding support ranges from $7,000 to $25,000, with a 25% contribution coming from other partners.
Deadline: February, May, August and December
SSHRC Partnership Grant
To support formal research partnerships, knowledge mobilization and best practices through networks, centres and chairs. A total of $500,000 to $2.5 million are available over 4 to 7 years.
Mitacs Accelerate Internship
To support a research internship that addresses a single research plan. Funding starts at $15,000 with a minimum of a 50% contribution coming from the host company. Applications can be submitted anytime.
To expand research and development capacity by generating new knowledge or apply existing knowledge in an innovative way through collaboration. Funding contributions can range from $10,000 to $100,000 over 1 to 5 years. NSERC will match the SMEs contribution dollar for dollar. Additionally, in-kind contributions will be matched by NSERC up to the maximum value of the SME cash contribution.
Innovacorp Early Stage Commercialization Fund
To support novel early stage/proof of concept research that demonstrates commercial potential for NS based institutions. The program support is a maximum of $50,000.
Deadline: September, February (if funds are available)
NSERC – Industrial Research Chair Grant
Association IRC: early stage researchers: Senior IRC: senior researchers: Executive IRC: research and development professionals. The program support is up to $500,000 over 5 years with a 50% matching contribution required by partners (university, industry, government or SME). Exceptions to partner contributions are outlined on NSERCs - IRC website.