International Master of Teaching English (IMTE)
Information for Prospective Students
Information for Prospective Students
The British Council forecasts that over two billion people are speaking or learning English. This growth in English learning is further accelerated by the digital Language Learning market, which will nearly double by 2025. With English becoming the world’s lingua franca, the demand for teachers of English continues to grow.
The Saint Mary’s International Master of Teaching English program (IMTE) prepares graduates for international English language teaching careers. The IMTE earns you the sought-after Masters degree in Teaching English as an International Language. It also includes preparation for various certificates from Cambridge Assessment English, part of England’s world-famous Cambridge University.
Key Benefits of the IMTE
- Saint Mary’s University has a long history of international education and intercultural engagement. Students can choose to complete their teaching practicums at partner institutions in over 15 countries worldwide.
- Saint Mary’s University is a Cambridge English Language Assessment Authorised Centre, part of England’s world-famous Cambridge University. IMTE includes opportunities to progress along the Cambridge Teacher Framework, leading to internationally recognized certificates from Cambridge Assessment English
- The IMTE Program offers extensive practicum opportunities at the Language Centre, accredited by Languages Canada. Gain exposure to the IELTS, CAEL, TOEFL, and other leading tests used around the globe.
- IMTE includes extensive professional development opportunities, including Membership in TESOL International Association, and the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL).
We are now accepting applications for our next available cohort, September 2022.
IMTE is designed for international students. Canadian citizens are not eligible for admission into this graduate program. Normally, a bachelor’s degree related to language studies (especially English language) or Education is expected, combined with relevant teaching experience. However, an academic background in other areas may be acceptable. The IMTE admissions committee assesses each application on an individual basis to determine applicants’ suitability. Canadian citizens are not eligible for admission into this graduate program.
Students applying for the IMTE program at Saint Mary’s University must submit the following:
- An online application form plus the $110 processing fee (non-refundable)
- Official transcripts for all universities and colleges attended
- Please check with IMTE for country specific GPA requirements
- Three recommendation forms; at least one should be from an academic referee
- Letter of Intent: why you are interested in pursuing a career as a teacher in the field, including any prior experience in teaching
- A current CV/résumé
- Official proof of English language proficiency (applicants whose first language is not English)
- IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall with no band below 6.0
- TOEFL iBT minimum 80 with no band below 20
- For other minimum proficiency test scores see: Requirements for International Applicants.
The deadline to file your online application is April 1, 2022. All required documents must be received by the university by April 30, 2022.
As each IMTE cohort is capped at approximately 20 students, we encourage students to apply early as we issue admissions to qualified candidates on a first come – first served basis.
Estimated tuition fees
International Students: $24,000
Fees are paid in four instalments at the beginning of each term. For miscellaneous fees, please use our Graduate Tuition and Fee calculator.