University Writing Skills
Teaching students the fundamentals of writing, this course concentrates on areas that will prepare students to:
- become familiar with and to use the various resources available to writers
- approach writing as a process that requires planning, researching, formulating, drafting and revising
- understand basic writing skills
- consider purpose, tone and audience when writing
- The Writer's Tools
- Sentence and Paragraph Structure
- Punctuation and Mechanics
- The Essay
Saint Mary's University will consider this course as fulfilling either the English 12 or an academic grade 12 elective admission requirement, provided all other admission requirments for the intended program are met.
Fall 2023: Monday, September 18, 2023 - Sunday, December 10, 2023
Winter 2024: Monday, January 15, 2024 - Sunday, April 7, 2024
General Course Information
Instructor: Jillian Stagg
Day & Time: Course is online with check-ins scheduled by instructor. Courses are asynchronous.
Course Fee: $550
Textbook: There is no textbook. All materials will be provided in the online portal by the instructor.
Other Requirements: This course will be taught online using Brightspace. Please confirm that you meet all system and browser requirements by visiting the Brightspace website. Students must have access to a computer and the internet.
Note: Students will be expected to complete online course work during the week. Students will be expected to connect with the instructor through the use of live chat/video sessions.
Questions? Contact email@example.com