Demonstrate Your English Skills
It’s important to speak and understand English at a level that will allow you to make the most of your classes, assignments, and study groups. Our language requirements are designed to ensure you the best possible education. If English is not your first language, you may need to provide your scores from an English language proficiency test.
If you have not attended an English language secondary school, one of the following is required:
- TOEFL: minimum score of 550 (paper-based test)
- iBT TOEFL: minimum score of 80 overall with no band score below 20
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.5 with no score below 6.0
- CanTEST: minimum of 4.5 with no individual score below 4.0
- CAEL: minimum of 60 with no individual band below 50
- Cambridge ESOL Exams CAE: grade of A, B, or C
- Pearson PTE: score of 58 or better
- Successful completion of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Level 6 at the Language Centre, Saint Mary’s University
- Completion of university preparatory English at a Languages Canada accredited school recognized by Saint Mary’s
- Completion of 3 years in a Canadian secondary school where the language of instruction and examination is English
If you have not attended an English language secondary school or do not have a previous degree completed totally in English, you may need to provide your scores from an English language proficiency test. Please see Graduate Studies Language Requirements for details.
English Language Support on Campus
Want to improve your English? Find out how we can help.