The Language Centre
How to register for the IELTS Test
For a list of our upcoming test dates please see the online registration page for Saint Mary's University.
We offer IELTS testing in five location within the Atlantic Provinces - Halifax NS, Antigonish, NS, Saint John NB, St. John’s NL and Charlottetown, PE. To register for any of our five locations:
Complete the on-line application – apply here. Please keep in mind that sessions will not be visible in the system after the registration deadline. Once your application has been submitted, you cannot go back to change your details. To update your personal details simply email IELTS@smu.ca.
After you have entered your details in the Online Registration System, please send the following documents to the test centre via email to IELTS@smu.ca or via post to the address below. Please note that your seat is not guaranteed until your payment has been confirmed so you are advised to send payment as soon as possible in order to avoid disappointment. As a supporting document you must send a clear photocopy of the photo page of your valid passport information page or Permanent Residency card.
Along with your ID document, you will need to submit your test fee payment immediately after registering for the test.Our test fees are as follows:
- Halifax, NS - $320 (HST incl.)
- Antigonish, NS - $330 (HST incl.)
- Saint John, NB $330 (HST incl.)
- Charlottetown, PE $330 (HST incl.)
- St. John’s, NL $330 (HST incl.)
You can pay for your IELTS registration using the following methods:
- Credit Card - to pay by Amex, Visa or Mastercard please call the IELTS office at 902.491.8683, or email the completed IELTS CREDIT CARD PAYMENT FORM to IELTS@smu.ca.
- Money Order - Written out to Saint Mary's University. Please note IELTS in the memo.
- Bank Draft - Written out to Saint Mary's University. Please note IELTS in the memo.
- Debit - You can pay in person here at The Language Centre at Saint Mary's University at 960 Tower Road.
- Online Test Fee Payments - You can submit payment online here.
If you prefer to use post, please see our mailing address below.
IELTS Administrator - CA099
The Language Centre - Saint Mary's University
923 Robie Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada B3H 3C3
Your registration will not be confirmed until both your payment as well as a copy of your valid Passport or valid Permanent Residency card have been received. You MUST have this original ID with you on the test day. You will not be able to write the test without your passport or PR card.
You will receive a registration confirmation and further test day information after receipt of your documents and payment. This information will be sent to you by email.
Please note you must bring your passport or Canadian Permanent Residency Card on the test day. No other form of identity will be accepted and no exceptions will be made. Without your ID, you cannot sit the test. Please bring whichever ID you used on the application form.
IMPORTANT: Please note that, as part of our ongoing commitment to test security, all IELTS candidates will have their photograph taken by IELTS staff just before the test. This photo will then appear on the candidates’ Test Report Forms (TRF).
You must bring the original proof of identification that you submitted with your application on test day.