To qualify for admission as a Mature Applicant, applicants must be at least twenty-two years of age, have been out of high school for at least five years, and not have attended another post-secondary institution or be admissible as a Transfer or High School Applicant. Mature Applicants must show, through educational upgrading, work experience or community volunteer work, an ability to benefit from university-level education. Mature Applicants must meet or exceed the minimum core course requirements for their intended program.
Bachelor of Arts: English 12
Bachelor of Commerce: English 12 and Mathematics 12
Bachelor of Environmental Studies: English 12
Bachelor of Science: English 12, Precalculus 12, one grade 12 academic lab science
Diploma in Engineering: English 12, Precalculus 12, Physics 12, Chemistry 12
Those who do not meet the minimum core course requirements are encouraged to consider upgrading through Saint Mary's UPrep courses, offered through the Admissions Office. For more information or advice on which courses to take to meet these requirements, please contact the UPrep team directly by emailing email@example.com.
Here is how you can apply to Saint Mary’s as a Mature Student:
- Complete the online application.
- Request that your high school sends us an official copy of your most recent transcript/results. Note: Those who went to a public high school in Nova Scotia in the last ten years may not need to provide transcripts if you are able to provide your ten digit provincial student ID number. If you have questions about this please contact the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Request transcripts for any upgrading courses you have completed to be sent to the Admissions Office. You may also be able to upload unofficial copies yourself to your online application portal.
- Prepare a personal statement in support of your application. Please include information on your educational upgrading, work experience, and/or community volunteer experience since leaving high school.
- You may be contacted by our Admissions team to arrange an interview or provide additional information.
If you are a veteran who is interested in pursuing post-secondary education, you may be eligible for the Veterans Education and Training Benefit. Check out the Government of Canada's website for more information.