Author Truman Capote believed more in the power of scissors (editing) than in the power of the pencil (writing). So, if you're uncertain how to make your writing clearer, crisper, and more engaging, this class will help.
Whether you are sending an email to a colleague or writing a report for senior management, it is essential that your writing be concise and concrete. It's equally imperative that the writing be well organized so that it flows smoothly and logically. First drafts don't do this. It takes rewriting and editing to make your written communication in the workplace the best – and most effective – it can be. This course will look at the different types of editing, the elements of successful editing, and tips for honing your rewriting and editing skills. The course will also look at how to distinguish between changes that have an impact and those that are simply fussing with words on the page.
Editing Essentials is an elective seminar for the Certificate in Business Communications.
(Online: 3 partial days, 9 am - 1 pm, Atlantic Time)
- October 12 - 14, 2022 (Online)
- May 8 - 10, 2023 (Online)
- How to move fluidly from one subject to another
- How to express ideas clearly
- How to be specific without being boring
- How to engage the reader
- Integrating facts, quotes, examples
- Letting the facts speak for themselves
- Presenting information simply and crisply
- Techniques for maintaining reader interest
- Proofreading versus editing
- Process for editing effectively
- Steps in editing written material and when to use them
- Assessing readability
What You Will Learn
- How to grab the attention of your reader and keep it
- How to polish your writing
- The difference between rewriting, revising and fussing with words
- The six steps of copy editing
- How to cut, simplify and improve your writing
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you:
- write or edit material as part of your job
- want to refine your writing skills
- want to ensure your writing has greater impact
- want the only red ink on the page to be your own