Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Many organizations are trying to attract and manage a diverse workforce. Recent studies show that diverse companies perform 33% better than companies that are not. Individual work styles, values, cultures, expectations, and team dynamics have never been more diverse. This lack of knowledge and appreciation for differences and similarities affects how employees interact, communicate, and learn. It is essential to organizational success that these diverse perspectives be included and reflected in teamwork and in decision making.
Constant and rapid advances in technology have broadened the skills gap between generations of workers. On the other hand, technology and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) are now the best tools for attracting a new generation of workers as the largest segment of the workforce continues to exit at a faster pace than companies are recruiting. Increasing DEI requires taking a closer look at existing biases and practices in our organizations and teams. It also requires a willingness to challenge those biases and practices so DEI can be adopted and embraced by everyone in the organization.
In this informative and interactive seminar, you will gain a clear understanding of what it means to be an inclusive leader and why it’s essential in today’s global marketplace.
The seminar format will include large and small group discussion, individual and small group exercises and activities, self-assessments, and videos.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is an elective seminar for the Certificate in Managing Human Resources.
(Online: 3 partial days, 9 am - 1 pm, Atlantic Time)
- November 14 - 16, 2022
- April 4 - 6, 2023
- Explore the differences and similarities across cultures and generations
- Recognize and critically reflect upon one’s own (unconscious) biases
- Identify potential challenges when interacting with other generations and cultures
- Demonstrate and foster communication skills that enable respectful intercultural and intergenerational communication
- Demonstrate professionalism by working inclusively
- Engage and motivate diverse teams
What You Will Learn
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion foundations
- Fair treatment and organizational flexibility: recruitment, hiring, promotion and retention of diverse employees
- Uncovering bias: what it is, how it forms, how it can affect us and our teams, and what we can do to mitigate our own unconscious biases
- Bringing awareness to your use of language: microaggressions and inclusive language
- Managing cross-generational and cross-cultural issues: relationship-building across generations and cultures
- Turning the diverse workforce into a competitive advantage for your organization
Who Should Attend?
You will benefit from this seminar if you are:
- manage diverse teams in Private, Public or Not for Profit Organizations
- wish to update your human resources skills and prepare to move to the next level in your career
- are involved in the recruitment, hiring, promotion and retention of diverse employees
- a leader looking to improve interpersonal dynamics in your organization