Application Guide for International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship 2023
For the purpose of satisfying the growing demand of the international community for Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries, the Center for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC) will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship (hereinafter referred to as the Scholarship). Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (hereinafter collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers for study of International Chinese Language Education or related majors at Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
- non-Chinese citizens;
- Should be friendly to China, have no criminal record, and abide by the laws and regulations of the Chinese government and the rules and regulations of the school;
- in good physical and mental conditions, and with good academic performance and conduct;
- committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
- between the ages of 16 and 35 (as of September 1st, 2023). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45-years-old, but those who apply for a scholarship for a Bachelor's degree shall be younger than 25 under most circumstances.
Foreign citizens of Chinese origin, including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenship, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens, will be subject to a preliminary review of citizenship status by XMU during the admission stage, and to verification of citizenship by the entry and exit administration department of China's public security authorities. Applicants who fail to pass the preliminary review or verification of citizenship will be deemed to have voluntarily relinquished their eligibility for admission, as well as the subsequent academic registration that they may obtain.
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATIONS
II. Chinese Language Teacher Program
(1) Scholarship for Master's Degree in International Chinese Language Education
The program commences in September 2023 and provides scholarship for a maximum of two academic years. Applicants shall hold a Bachelor's degree, and have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Priority will be given to applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution upon completing their studies in China or a proof to the same effect.
(2) Scholarship for Bachelor's Degree in International Chinese Language Education (the major of Chinese language)
The program commences in September 2023, and the scholarship is provided for a maximum of four academic years. Applicants shall hold a senior high school diploma and have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
(3) Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
The program commences in September 2023, and provides scholarship for a maximum of eleven months. International students who have benefited from similar scholarships are not eligible.
i. International Chinese language education programs: Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
ii. Chinese Language Study: Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK test (Level 3). Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score.
(4) Scholarship for One-Semester Study
The program commences either in September 2023 or March 2024, and provides scholarship of a maximum of five months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible. Applicants for the area of international Chinese language education shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
(5) Scholarship for Four-Week Study
The program commences either in July or December, 2023, and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible. For the areas of Chinese Study, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Taiji Culture, Chinese Language plus Home-Stay Experience in a Chinese Family, and Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes, applicants are required to provide HSK test scores. The program may be organized and applied for by a recommending institution with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made in consultation with host institutions and such plan shall be submitted to CLEC for approval.
Notes: In-service Chinese language teachers may be exempted from HSK/HSKK certificates if they provide proof of employment and a letter of recommendation from the employer.
III. International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
The Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fees, accommodation fees, living allowance (four-week study students excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
1. The tuition fees are used by the host institution for the training and management of the scholarship students, the development of cultural activities and the organization of Chinese language proficiency tests.
2. Accommodation fees are under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide students with in-campus apartments (double rooms). Students may also live off-campus upon application and getting permission from the host institutions. Students who live off campus are entitled to accommodation allowance of 700 CNY per person/month paid on a monthly/quarterly basis from the host institutions.
3. Living allowance is granted by host institutions on a monthly basis. The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For master's students in International Chinese Language Education, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person.
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within stipulated period, otherwise their scholarship may be cancelled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those who enroll after the 15th of that month are entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended. For students who suspend study or drop out of school for personal reasons, or who are given disciplinary punishment by the host institutions, allowance will be terminated on the date of such suspension, dropping out or when the decision of such punishment is announced. The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month after the date of graduation or expiration day of the study confirmed by host institutions.
4. Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance with relevant regulations of studying in China stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. Insurance fee per person is 160 CNY for four-week study students, 400 CNY for one-semester students, and 800 CNY per year for students engaged in program longer than one academic year.
IV. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Online registration on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship application website (http://cis.chinese.cn) will be available from March 1st, 2023. For programs commencing in September, student application must complete before May 15th. Please log on to search for recommending institutions and host institutions; upload application materials online; and track the application progress, comments and results. Scholarship holders need to confirm with the host institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out the scholarship certificate online, and register at host institutions on the designated date as per the letter of admission.
The application deadlines (Beijing Time) are:
(1) For programs commencing in July (Four-Week Study Program), student application must complete before April 15th; recommending institutions and Xiamen University must complete review before April 25th;
(2) For programs commencing in September, student application must complete before May 15th; recommending institutions and Xiamen University must complete review before May 25th;
(3) For programs commencing in December (Four-Week Study Program), student application must complete before September 15th; recommending institutions and Xiamen University must complete review before September 25th;
(4) For programs commencing in March 2024 (One-Semester Study Program), student application must complete before November 15th, 2023; recommending institutions and Xiamen University must complete review before November 25th, 2023.
CLEC will entrust an expert panel to review the applications. Decisions will be made based on HSK and HSKK levels and scores, geographical distribution, and other factors. The results will be published about three months before the program starts.
V. Application Documents for International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship
1. a scanned copy of passport photo page;
2. Birth certificate
3. Parents' identity documents
4. a scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity);
5. A certificate of the highest diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript.
(1) Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree certificates obtained outside the Chinese Mainland should be notarized by the local notary public office.
(2) Graduating students should provide a Certificate of Expected Graduation. They should obtain their degree/graduation certificate before their entry to XMU in September 2023.
6. Research plan: Applicants shall submit a research plan of no less than 800 (for BA programs) /1,000 (for MA programs) words, written in Chinese.
7. Reference Letter (master programs): two Letters of Recommendation from professors or associate professors. The letter should be written in Chinese or English with information of the recommender's names, employer and work position, either signed by the recommender or bearing the stamp of the recommending organization. Priority will be given to applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution upon completing their studies in China or a proof to the same effect.
8. Financial Support Guarantee Statement (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/1744.htm) and its supporting documents completed in Chinese or English, certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation, living expenses and international travels during his or her study in China. The Statement should be accompanied by a copy of the financial sponsor’s valid passport or identification certificate. Applicants for scholarships are not exempt from this requirement.
9. CV, written in Chinese or English.
10. Certificate of No Criminal Record. The applicants shall submit a valid Certificate of No Criminal Record, usually within 6 months before the date of submission of the application.
11. Physical Examination Record for Inbound Travellers (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/1745.htm), including chest X ray image, electrocardiogram, laboratory exam results and data sheets of some required items, completed in Chinese or English, with the lower part of the applicant’s photo stamped by the hospital. Physical examination results are valid for 6 months.
12. A reference letter by the head of the recommending institutions.
13. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer.
14. Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide Guarantee Statement for International Students under the Age of 18 (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/2009.htm) certified and signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
15. Applicants shall also provide additional documents required by the Xiamen University.
1. After the application is submitted, the applicant will not be able to modify the application information or application materials. Therefore, before submitting your application, please check carefully to ensure that the information and materials submitted are comprehensive, true and complete. Applications with inaccuracies or omissions will not be accepted by the University.
2. If any forms, documents and certificates used in the application are in languages other than English or Chinese, they should be accompanied by a notarized translation into Chinese or English in addition to the original documents. It is recommended that these documents and their translations be notarized at the Chinese embassy (consulate) in your home country. Please stamp on the edges of all sheets with part of the impression on each sheet if the document consists of more than one page; alternatively, stamp on each page of the document.
3. In general, there is no need to mail original hard-copy materials through courier service. However, under extraordinary circumstances, the University reserves the rights to require applicants to mail original hard-copy documents for further review and identification. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
VI. Policies Regarding Currently Employed Chinese Language Teachers and Chinese Bridge Award Recipients
1. Currently employed Chinese language teachers:
Currently employed Chinese language teachers applying for the scholarships can be exempted from submitting Chinese Language Proficiency Test (HSK) certificates if they can provide proof of employment and a letter of recommendation from the institution where they work.
2. Chinese Bridge Award Recipients:
Applicants who have won the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate in various Chinese Bridge competitions should submit their application documents along with their scholarship certificates to Xiamen University on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website. For further inquiry, please contact email@example.com.
1. For course schedule in the program of Chinese Language and International Chinese language education, as well as the training plan of the Four-Week Study programs, please contact Overseas Education College of Xiamen University at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Applicants shall be familiar with the specific criteria and deadlines for registration, and submit necessary documents according to specific requirements.
3. Degree students are subject to the annual assessment according to the Annual Appraisal Procedures of International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship.
4. Students who fail to pass the pre-enrollment medical examination, withdraw from school midway, or fail to report to school or suspend their studies without permission will be disqualified for scholarship.
5. The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide only. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. This application guide may be adjusted by the latest notice from the competent department of scholarship or the requirements of our university. So please refer to the latest version of application guide. For other information, please visit:
Prospectus for Admission to Bachelor's Degree Programs:
Prospectus for Admission to Master's Degree Programs:
International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship: http://cis.chinese.cn
Overseas Education College of Xiamen University : http://oec.xmu.edu.cn
Division of Test and Scholarships, Center for Language Education And Cooperation
+86-10-58595932 (Asia, Africa)
+86-10-58595999 (US, Canada)
+86-10-58595744 (South America, Oceania)
Office of Admissions and Examinations, Xiamen University
Add: 422 South Siming Road, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China 361005
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792, 2188375
Overseas Education College of Xiamen University (for the management and teaching of the programs of Chinese language and International Chinese language education)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2186211
Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346