The SMUworks Summer 2024 Faculty/Staff Application is currently delayed. Please check back for updates.
SMUworks Summer Application:
The SMUworks Summer 2023 Faculty/Staff Application opens Monday, January 30th!
See below for the application link.
Important Summer 2023 Dates:
- Faculty & Staff Application Period – Monday, January 30th - Monday, February 27, 2023 11:59pm AST
- Faculty & Staff Application Decisions – Tuesday, March 7, 2023
- Student Application Period – Wednesday, March 8th - Monday, March 27, 2023
- Eligible Student Applications sent to Faculty & Staff – week of March 27, 2023
- Student SMUworks Earliest Possible Work Start Date – Monday, May 1, 2023
- Student Work End Date – Friday, September 1, 2023
SMUworks is a bursary-based student employment program that benefits students, faculty, and staff alike. These positions not only provide valuable work experience for the students but also helps them gain skills in the job application and interview process, in addition to financial support.
How much is the Grant for?
Undergraduate Positions: Successful undergraduate applications will receive up to a maximum of $8,043.75 ($16.50 per hour, which includes 4% vacation pay, to a maximum of 32.5 hours per week for 15 weeks).
Graduate Positions: Successful graduate applications will receive up to a maximum of $8,775.00 ($18.00 per hour, which includes 4% vacation pay, to a maximum of 32.5 hours per week for 15 weeks).
Employer Cost: The Faculty/Staff bursary recipient is responsible for ensuring that amounts in excess of the fixed grant are paid. For this reason, we require you to provide a department budget code when submitting students’ payroll paperwork.
Who is eligible to apply for a grant?
- Must be a full-time staff member or full-time professor at Saint Mary’s for the duration of the SMUworks session.
- Faculty may be on sabbatical but MUST be present on campus and available to the student to provide direction and guidance.
- Cannot be a Ph.D. student, post-doctoral Fellow, or Research Associate
- Student-run organizations are not eligible.
How will I find out if I've been approved?
You will be informed of the grant decision by Tuesday, March 7th. If your application is successful, you will receive notice of approved funding and allotment of hours.
Who Can I Hire?
Student Eligibility Criteria:
You are welcome to encourage students to apply for your opportunity via Career360° if they are eligible. Eligibility requirements:
- Registered as a full-time/part-time student in a degree or diploma program at Saint Mary's University for the current academic year 2022-23 and registered in summer 2023 classes or returning to school in September 2023 for the fall semester.
- Good academic standing (GPA 1.7+)
Students are not eligible for the program if they have fulfilled their degree requirements or have graduated. ESL, upgrading, and visiting students are not eligible for the program.
Students will not be able to work in more than one SMUworks full-time position in any one term. If a student has secured two part-time SMUworks jobs that is fine as long as the hours don’t exceed regular full-time hours.
How does the student apply?
They upload their resume and cover letter to each SMUworks job posting they want to apply for. SMUworks job postings will be on Career360° Wednesday, March 8 to Sunday, March 26, 2023.
What is the hiring process?
After the application deadlines have closed, Career & Experiential Learning will review all student applications received. Eligible student applications will be forwarded to you, the grant recipient.
Please note that while we welcome you to encourage your students to apply, preferred candidates are not allowed. All applicants must have completed the SMUworks application and uploaded their resume and cover letter to Career360°. You are required to conduct a formal interview with at least three eligible applicants.
If you are unsuccessful in hiring a student, your job posting can be reposted. Please be aware that this may lead to delays in filling the position, however, the Student Work End Date cannot be extended beyond September 1st.
Once you have completed the interviews you should inform Career & Experiential Learning of the name and student number (A#) of the successful student, as well as the names of the candidates you interviewed who were not successful.
How do I pay for my new student employee?
Once you identify your selected candidate. SMUworks works will send you all paperwork and instructions for completion. Payroll paperwork must be submitted to Career & Experiential Learning before the student starts working. This program is intended to provide financial stability to students with need, so it is crucial that payroll information is submitted in a timely way. Failure to submit a student’s paperwork will result in the Faculty or Staff member being ineligible to receive a SMUworks grant in the future.
The following forms must be correctly completed, signed, and forwarded to SMUworks
- SMUworks Fixed Remuneration Form
- SMUworks Payroll Hiring Form
- TD1 Personal Tax Credits Return
- TD1 Nova Scotia Personal Tax Credits Return
- Student's banking information (if not already on file at payroll)
- If an international student, a copy of their Study Permit (if not already on file at payroll)
Please keep track of the student's hours to ensure that the student only works the number of hours you were approved for. Otherwise, your department will be charged for any additional hours.
For support in completing your application please refer to the SMUworks Faculty/Staff Application Guide .
Click on Faculty/Staff SMUworks Summer Grant Application to submit your application before the closing date of Monday, February 27, 2023 at 11:50pm AST.
All inquiries can be directed to email@example.com