SMUworks Academic Application:
The SMUworks Academic 2021-2022 semester application is now open and will close on Wednesday, July 14 at 11:59 pm ADT. Late applications will not be considered. Scroll down for the application link.
Important SMUworks 2021-2022 Dates:
- Faculty & Staff Application Deadline – Wednesday, July 14, 2021
- Faculty & Staff Application Decisions – Thursday, July 22, 2021
- Student Application Period – Friday, July 23 – Sunday, August 15, 2021
- Eligible Student Applications sent to Faculty & Staff – Thursday, August 19, 2021
- Mandatory Faculty/Hiring Managers Payroll Workshops - Aug. 26 - Aug. 27, 2021; times TBA (only need to attend one)
- Mandatory Faculty/Hiring Managers Payroll Workshops - Sept. 1 - Sept. 2, 2021; times TBA (only need to attend one)
- SMUworks Student Payroll Q & A Session - Sept. 9 & 10; times TBA (only need to attend one)
- Payroll Documentation Submission Deadline - Friday, Sept. 17, 2021 (to ensure student is paid on time)
- Earliest Student Start Date – Monday, Sept. 13, 2021
- Last Student End Date – Friday, Mar. 25, 2022
SMUworks is a bursary-based student employment program that benefits students, faculty, and staff alike. These positions not only provide valuable work experience for the students but also helps them gain experience in the job application and interview process.
How much is the grant for?
Undergraduate Positions: Successful undergraduate applications will receive up to a maximum of $4950.00 ($15.00 per hour, which includes 4% vacation pay, to a maximum of 15 hours per week for 22 weeks).
Graduate Positions: Successful graduate applications will receive up to a maximum of $5445.00 ($16.50 per hour, which includes 4% vacation pay, to a maximum of 15 hours per week for 22 weeks).
Employer Cost: Amounts in excess of the bursary will be the responsibility of the faculty/ staff bursary recipient.
Who is eligible to apply for a grant?
Must be a full-time staff member or full-time professor at Saint Mary’s for the duration of the SMUworks session
Faculty may be on sabbatical but MUST be present on campus and available to the student to provide direction and guidance.
Cannot be a Ph.D. student, post-doctoral Fellow, or Research Associate
Student-run organizations are not eligible
How will I find out if I've been approved?
Faculty & Staff will be informed of the bursary decisions by the Faculty & Staff Application Decisions date indicated above. Successful applicants will receive notice of approved funding and allotment of hours.
Click here to access the SMUworks Academic 2021-2022 Faculty/Staff application
Who can I hire?
Student eligibility criteria
Students are eligible for the SMUworks Academic 2021-2022 program if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Registered as a full-time student in a degree or diploma program at Saint Mary's University for the academic year 2021-22.
- Student is in good academic standing (GPA 1.7+)
- Demonstrate financial need using the budget portion of this application below.
- Students must also attend the mandatory Student Payroll and Tax Workshop
Students are not eligible for the program if:
- They have fulfilled their degree requirements or have graduated.
- They are an ESL, upgrading and visiting students
- If they do not complete all application steps, your application will be deemed incomplete and you will not be eligible for consideration to any SMUworks position for which you have applied. Resumes and cover letters must be submitted for each job posting via Career360
How does the student apply?
- They submit a SMUworks Application electronically to Financial Aid & Awards**
- They upload their resume and cover letter to Career360°, and apply to the SMUworks job posting(s) they are interested in.
**In order to participate in SMUworks, the student must demonstrate financial need. This is why the SMUworks Application includes a detailed budget, as it is essential for the Financial Aid & Awards Office to have a clear picture of the student’s financial circumstances. If we determine there are discrepancies between the student’s submitted budget and the information we collect from their student account, they will be ineligible to participate in SMUworks.
Additionally, if they do not complete all application steps, their application will be deemed incomplete and they will not be eligible for the program. Their resume and cover letter will not be submitted to you for consideration.
What is the hiring process?
After the application deadlines have closed, Career & Experiential Learning will review all applications received. Eligible student applications will be forwarded to you, the bursary recipient.
Please note that while we welcome you to encourage your students applied, preferred candidates are not allowed. You are required to conduct a formal interview with at least three eligible applicants.
Once the interviews have been conducted, you are asked to inform Career & Experiential Learning of the name and student number (A#) of the successful student, as well as the names of the candidates you interviewed who were not successful.
How do I pay for my new student employee?
Payroll paperwork must be submitted to Career & Experiential Learning before the student begins working. This program is intended to provide financial stability to students with significant needs, and it is, therefore, crucial that their payroll information is submitted in a timely manner. Failure to submit a students’ paperwork will result in the Staff or Faculty member being ineligible to receive a SMUworks grant in the future.
The following forms need to be completed:
- SMUworks Fixed Remuneration Form
- SMUworks Casual Employee Action Form
- TD1 Personal Tax Credits Return
- TD1 Nova Scotia Personal Tax Credits Return
Attendance of a mandatory SMUworks Faculty/Department Hiring Managers workshop that will guide you on how to complete the forms.
Please keep track of the student's hours in order to ensure that the student only works the number of hours you were approved for.