Made possible by a transformational $18 million gift from the Sobey Family, the Sobey Foundation and Sobeys Inc., the Sobey Innovator Scholarships are presented to exceptional incoming undergraduate and MBA students from across Canada. These scholarships recognize their accomplishments and aim to encourage and support their success in the Sobey School of Business. Recipients of the Sobey Innovator Scholarships are members of the Sobey Scholars Network. The network includes all current and past students and faculty members who have been recipients of financial support from the Sobey Family, the Sobey Foundation, Sobeys Inc. and Empire Company Limited.
Sobey MBA Scholarships
We are pleased to offer five entrance awards, valued at $30,000 each, annually starting in September 2020. These scholarships will be presented to exceptional students from across Canada in recognition of their accomplishments, and as encouragement and support for their success in the Sobey School of Business.
Our goal is to attract and support students from across the country by distributing these regionally, with two for students from Western Canada and the Territories, two for students from Ontario and Quebec, and on for students from Atlantic Canada. Additionally, we aim to award a minimum of 2/5 to women applicants
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents entering the MBA program in the Sobey School of Business as full-time students.
- Demonstrate excellent academic achievement, normally a GPA of 3.5 out of 4.3 or higher or a GMAT score of 650 or higher.
- Demonstrate interest or involvement in such areas as responsible leadership, entrepreneurial mindset, or innovative thinking.
- Must be commencing studies in the year the scholarship is awarded. Candidates who have already begun their studies are not eligible.
- Candidates cannot defer their award.
Sobey MBA Scholars will be members of a special student and alumni cohort within the University. This cohort will consist of all current and past students and faculty members who are the recipients of financial support from Sobey Family/Foundations and Sobeys Inc. This student and alumni cohort will have special programming, supports and communication, including an annual event to build a strong sense of community and connection.
Applying for the Sobey MBA Scholarships
All Canadians and permanent residents applying for admission to the Sobey MBA Program by the posted scholarship deadline in any given year will automatically be considered for the Sobey MBA Scholarships. Applicants will be required to complete the online application form and provide the associated materials, e.g., resume, references, academic transcripts and GMAT test score. An additional interview must also be completed.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org 1-902-420-5010.
Sobey Innovator Scholarship for Bachelor of Commerce Students
We are pleased to offer 10 renewable entrance awards valued at $50,000 over 4 years awarded annually. These scholarships will be presented to exceptional students from across Canada in recognition of their accomplishments, and as encouragement and support for their success in the Sobey School of Business.
The initial scholarship in academic year 1 is $20,000. The renewal value in academic years 2-4 is $10,000 per year. The total value of the scholarship over four years is $50,000.
This scholarship is renewable if the student recipient achieves the university academic requirement for scholarship renewal as it may change from time to time.
- Must be accepted into the Bachelor of Commerce program (September intake), entering first year as a full-time student
- Must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents recently graduated from high school.
- Must have (normally) a minimum of 90% average, or an IB Diploma score of 36, out of high school and demonstrate leadership in extra-curricular activities.
- Scholarship is not deferrable.
Recipients of the Sobey National Innovator Scholarships will be members of a special student and alumni cohort within the University. This cohort will consist of all current and past students and faculty members who are the recipients of financial support from Sobey Family/Foundations and Sobeys Inc. This student and alumni cohort will have special programming, supports and communication, including an annual event to build a strong sense of community and connection .
In the event that a student does not meet the requirements for renewal of their scholarship, award or other such financial support, he/she will continue to be considered a member of the student and alumni cohort.
Applying for the Sobey National Innovators Award
Contact the Saint Mary's University Recruitment office for more information.
NOTE: The application for Named Entrance Awards for the 2021-2022 academic year is now closed.
- 750-word essay based on student community involvement, contribution to school life and plans for the future
- A resume which should comment on such things as involvement in community service, participation in student government, athletic achievement, extracurricular activities, and volunteer and/or paid work.
- Letter of recommendation from high school principal, guidance counsellor or teacher
Questions? Contact email@example.com, 1-902-420-5415.