Accounting Achievement Award
Inaugural recipients of the Accounting Achievement Award and Sobey School of Business professors (L to R): Xuan (Annabelle) Wang, Dr. Nickie Young, Dongsheng Li, Dr. Heather Sceles, Jingyi (Claire) Hou and Dr. Tom Kozloski.
APPLY FOR THIS AWARD AT: https://smu.ca/academics/accounting-achievement-applicant.html
Faculty members of the Department of Accounting have initiated and funded four annual Awards. These awards are designed to recognize the performance of our Accounting Majors who have demonstrated an outstanding personal commitment to support, and who have “breathed life” into, elements of the mission of the Sobey School of Business.
The mission indicates that the Sobey School of Business, through active learning and the creation and mobilization of scholarship, prepares citizens of the world to lead sustainable, entrepreneurial businesses and communities. This mission is supported by the Department of Accounting’s own Vision Statement that identifies similar key components of student success. Achievement Awards are available in each of the following three areas. Normally, one award in each category listed below:
- Citizen of the World: an award will be given to the student who has demonstrated a commitment to preparing for the global business environment in the spirit of good citizenship.
- Active Learning: an award will be given to the student who has actively engaged with study opportunities by demonstrating exemplary performance in a variety of applied and experiential learning activities available through the Sobey School of Business.
- Demonstrated Leadership: an award will be given to the student who has made a difference, showing initiative and responsibility by helping others create shared value.
- Nicola Young Financial Accounting Award – an award will be given to a student who has demonstrated a particular interest and strength in financial accounting and reporting. Evidence of an understanding of the importance of excellence in public sector (governments and government organizations) financial reporting and/or a desire to work in this sector would also be considered an asset.
- Declared Sobey School of Business Accounting Majors and normally completed 90 credit hours, and
- Earned a minimum GPA of 3.3 in all accounting courses completed at the time of the application
- Completed ACCT 3323, 3335, 3350 and 3351
To learn more and to apply, visit https://smu.ca/academics/accounting-achievement-applicant.html
Accounting Achievement Award recipients
|YEAR||Active Learning||Demonstrated Leadership||Citizen of the World|
|2016||Corey Roy||Shanice Bancroft||James Russell|
|2017||Cody Stead||Hannah Smith||Eunkang Jo|
|2018||Gernic Nita Soudine||Josephine Maria Gascoigne||Kyra Fowler|