International Co-operative Governance Symposium-1
International Co-operative Governance Symposium
The International Co-operative Governance Symposium was held in September 2013 at Saint Mary's Univeristy in Halifax, Canada.
Governance practitioners and researchers discussed and debated the challenges and opportunities for co-operative governance on a global scale. Participants included academic researchers and instructors, chief governance officers and corporate secretaries, board chairs and directors, CEOs, co-operative sector organization and association members and governance consultants.
ICA Report on Governance in Co-operatives
Research and work collected from the Symposium led to the development of an ICA think piece. The report was co-ordinated by Sonja Novkovic and Karen Miner from the Co-operative Management Education programs and individuals from the international co-operative community. This think piece was then presented at the ICA Research Conference in November 2015.
A think piece, such as this one on governance in co-operatives, is designed to be thought-provoking and invite debates and discussions, agreements and disagreements, new ideas and reassurances. The intent was to initiate rich conversations and motivate co-operative members and leadership to re-examine the wide-ranging systems of co-operative governance.
View the Program International Co-operative Governance Symposium
The Governance Symposium Summary Report (ICA Blueprint for a Co-operative Decade) can be found here: Governance Symposium Summary Report
Symposium Presentations from Parallel Sessions September 2013
- Competency-Based Assessments by Andres, Kim
- Complexity Theory and Co-operative Governance by Cannell, Bob
- Gay Lea Foods Co-op - Reflections on Building a Continuum of Co-op Education by Fox, Quintin
- Strategic Governance by Goehring, Mark; Scholl Marilyn; Sherwood, Art
- Membership Structure Design and Organizational Theory by Gray, Thomas
- Member Participation & Co-op Governance: Importance of Associative Intelligence by Haiven, Larry
- Governance Education Portal by Hancock, Erin
- Election of Board Members - Mechanism and Cultures in Agricultural Cooperatives by Huhtala, Kari
- Senior Leader Perceptions & Responses to Competing Institutional Logics in Co-op by Johnson, Kathy
- Governance & the Role of Sustainability Scorecard in Strategic Planning by LeBlanc, Leo
- Inclusion, Control and Accountability in Worker Cooperatives by McNamara, John
- Cultivating Connections - Maintaining Member Involvement in a Province Wide CU by Moulin, Linda
- Governing Fair Trade by Reed, Darryl
- Operationalizing Ownership to Fight Oligarchsation by Stocki, Ryszard
- Worker Co-op's the Game, These are the Rules (Governance Policy) by Stoddart, Joel