Sobey BComm Program Goals
Business Knowledge and Competency
Graduates both acquire and use business knowledge and professional skills successfully. Students will:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the functional areas of business.
- Effectively integrate and apply business knowledge to assess the opportunities and risks faced by all types of organizations.
Graduates communicate effectively and professionally using a variety of communication modes appropriate to various business contexts. Students will:
- Create and deliver appropriate and effective written and oral communications, in-person and through technologically-mediated channels.
- Apply a variety of interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with individuals and teams.
Graduates use an evidence-based approach to critically assess situations and make business decisions. Students will:
- Gather and analyze information systematically.
- Consider context, bias, validity, and assumptions in the evaluation of evidence.
- Assess system effects.
- Draw insightful conclusions and/or recommendations.
Digital Literacy and Fluency
Graduates leverage current technologies to achieve organizational objectives. Students will:
- Use current tools to research, evaluate, and communicate information in a digital environment.
- Employ digital technologies to facilitate decision making.
Graduates identify and make the most of opportunities, overcome and learn from setbacks, and succeed in a variety of settings. Students will:
- Use creativity and innovation to generate solutions to problems without clearly defined structures.
- Demonstrate accountability for learning, success, and failure, through intentional reflection.
Graduates have an expanded and inclusive worldview and intercultural competency. Students will:
- Recognize the effects of different economic, political, cultural, social, and technological environments.
- Demonstrate openness and appreciation for diversity and the richness of global cultures.
- Integrate an intercultural worldview into business practices.
Social Responsibility and Sustainability
Graduates have the knowledge and skills to make a positive impact on people, organizations, and the planet. Students will:
- Recognize the ethical dimensions of situations.
- Consider a broad spectrum of stakeholders in the development of organizations’ social responsibilities.
- Apply the principles of social responsibility and sustainability to business operations and decision making.