Closed Course and Prerequisite Override Requests

Students who require an override to enrol in a course that is closed (enrollment is full) or who do not meet the perquisite requirements for a course offered in the Bachelor of Commerce program may complete the form below. Students are not guaranteed an override by submitting this form and will be contacted by email with a decision. Students who require a course for their major or to graduate in the current academic year will receive priority. 

Academic Advising

Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to submitting an override request to a department. Academic Advisors can help confirm your remaining degree requirements, review your course plan, and confirm prerequisite requirements. 

Late Registration

Late registration requests refer to those students seeking registration after the last day to add a course. Students should review the Important Academic Dates website for information on the add and drop dates. 

Bachelor of Commerce students who are seeking late registration should contact the BComm Advising Centre at to discuss potential options. Students should include a list of courses they are seeking late registration for that includes CRNs and Instructor names as well as an explanation as to why they need to register in a course after the deadline. Students in the Faculty of Arts or Science should contact their home advising office for more information. 

Repeating a Course

Students who want to repeat an undergraduate course offered by the Sobey School of Business and have a final grade of a C- or higher in their first attempt in the course, must submit an override request to the BComm Advising Centre at

Requests should contain the following information: First name, last name, A-number, course code and CRN, and reason for repeating the course. 

Closed Course Overrides

Admission to closed courses will be limited and is not guaranteed by filling out this form. Very few additional students will be admitted beyond the posted enrolment limit for the course.

Students requesting a closed course override should continue to check Banner since it is possible that space in the course could open up as other students adjust their schedules. Also, you should consider your options regarding other open sections of the course, if any.

Prerequisite Waivers

The prerequisites in courses are mandatory. It is only in exceptional situations that the prerequisites are waived. The policy on granting a prerequisite waiver is that the student has to show evidence of strong academic performance in prior courses or have substantial and relevant industry experience in the subject area.

A prerequisite waiver, if granted, applies only to the requested course. It does not apply to all the courses that require this prerequisite. A prerequisite override does not automatically entitle the student to an enrolment override.

Students can access the request forms for the following courses using the links below:

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I do not have or know my email address. How can I access the override request form?

Students can activate their SMU email using the following steps:

    • Go to
    • Enter your Banner (A) number and password and click Logon.
    • Read the Usage Policy, and, if you agree, click Accept.
    • Create a password using the stated parameters.
    • Click Activate. 
    • You will be asked to confirm your existing email address. Click either Save Email Preference, or Skip this Step to proceed to the final page to get your SMU email.
    • The last page will show your account username (S number), your SMU email address, and your own email address.
    • If you have an questions or issues, look through the email section of the EIT Knowledge Base, email, or call 902-496-8111.


2. I have a finanical hold on my student account and cannot access my unofficial transcript.

  • Students can contact BComm Advising Centre if they cannot access their unofficial transcript through Self Service Banner. Contact BComm Advising Office at