Spanish & Hispanic Studies
Why pursue Spanish and Latin American Studies?
Explore multiple aspects of Spanish language, civilizations and cultures, while gaining a solid understanding of the contemporary Spanish-speaking world. The Spanish and Latin American Studies program at Saint Mary’s is the only one of its kind in Atlantic Canada.
While studying Spanish and Latin American culture, you’ll build your ability to communicate in Spanish and also explore history, tradition, arts, literature and music. In doing so, you’ll develop communication and critical thinking skills, cultural understanding and strong research abilities.
At Saint Mary’s, there are many opportunities for undergraduate academic awards, as well as many opportunities for academic exchange in Spanish speaking countries.
Our Spanish students have participated in academic exchanges to Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios de Monterrey, Universidad La Salle and Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas, and taken part in our new exchange program with Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, UNAM.
Sample courses offered:
- Introduction to Spanish Language
- Intermediate Spanish
- Advanced Spanish Conversation in Film
- Advanced Oral and Written Spanish
- Introduction to Latin American Literature
- The Changing Face of the Americas and the Caribbean
Future career opportunities:
- Cultural liaison
- Public relations consultant
- Language instructor
- Department of Modern Languages & Classics: Spanish/Latin American Studies
- Faculty of Arts
- Information for future students
- How to apply (Canadian students)
- How to apply (International students)