Eduroam Wireless Access
Eduroam Wireless Access
Services for Faculty, Staff & Students
At Saint Mary's University
What is eduroam?
- Eduroam (education roaming) is a wireless service that allows students, staff, and faculty to use their own home institution’s wireless credentials to access wireless network services when visiting any other eduroam affiliated institution without having to set up a guest account.
- Once set up and working at Saint Mary's, it will work at any other eduroam member institution in the world!
Saint Mary's University Users - Configuring eduroam on your device
- Any Saint Mary's University student, faculty or staff wishing to use eduroam when travelling should configure their device prior to leaving.
- Setup of a device for eduroam follows the normal wireless setup, with the following slight modifications:
- Use “eduroam” as the SSID (also known as the network name)
- Include the domain name in the username field (such as email@example.com) when logging into the eduroam service at another affiliated campus. This is required for your device to be successfully recognized
- Specific instructions can be found here:
- Once set up, the eduroam SSID will work on our campus, however Saint Mary's users are encouraged to use the normal smu-wifi network while at SMU, as it is our primary network on campus and does not have any limitations/restrictions applied to guest access network.
- If you experience issues while attempting to access wireless service at another institution through the eduroam setup on your device, you need to contact Saint Mary's help desk for assistance. Support services at other eduroam affiliated sites you may visit are not required under the eduroam agreement to provide major support - this is the sole responsibility of the home institution.
- Needs to be set up at your own institution prior to visiting Saint Mary's.
- For any individual visiting Saint Mary's University, our implementation of eduroam utilizes WPA2/AES.
- Please contact your home institution for any help or support and to obtain setup instructions particular to your institution.
- Also note the Saint Mary's University Acceptable Use Policy applies to guest users. (You should also be aware of any such policies your home institution has in place, as they also apply).
Restrictions of eduroam
- The network restrictions in place are at the discretion of the institution providing the service.
- Saint Mary’s provides eduroam users on this campus with basic internet connectivity.
- There is no guarantee that eduroam will provide the same access to resources as the home or visited institution’s standard wireless networks.