Employer Frequently Asked Questions
- Are students required to participate in the Co-operative Education Program?
- What Programs are considered Co-op at Saint Mary's University?
- What are some of my responsibilities as an employer?
- How do I apply for a Co-op student?
- Can I hire an International student?
- Is there any additional paperwork that needs to be completed if I hire an International Student?
- What are the benefits of hiring an International Co-op student?
- If I hire a Co-op student what is our role?
- What do I need to consider regarding Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) relating to Student Employment?
1) Are students required to participate in the Co-operative Education Program?
At Saint Mary’s Co-operative Education is an optional program. Undergraduate students (Commerce, Science, and Arts) must meet and maintain certain GPA requirements and must also have a minimum of 60 credit hours completed before beginning their first work term. Those Master of Science in Applied Science students whose major is listed below are eligible for Co-op provided they meet and maintain their own program’s academic requirements.
2) What Programs are considered Co-op at Saint Mary's University?
Go to our Available Co-op Degree Programs page to view programs that are considered co-op at Saint Mary's
3) What are some of my responsibilities as an employer?
Co-op work terms should provide a solid business exposure, related as closely as possible to the student's major. Employers are responsible for providing a paid employment, full time hours (at least 32.5 per week) for a minimum of 13-16 weeks. To ensure success of the program, a site visit with the employer and student once during the work term is appreciated.
4) How do I apply for a Co-op student?
Students are available year round and there are three work terms per year – Fall, Winter and Summer. You can apply for a Co-op student by contacting any member of our Co-op team. We accept job postings by email.
- Once we receive the job posting we will submit it to the Co-op Academic Advisors for their approval.
- We will inform the students of the position and the due date.
- We will forward the application package to you on your due date. This package will include resumes, cover letters and other documentation as per your request.
- Employers may choose to receive applications by e-mail, fax or courier and some companies prefer students to apply directly online.
- We will assist in contacting the students whom you wish to interview. Interviews can be scheduled at your location or arrangements can be made to provide you with space to interview the students at the university.
5) Can I hire an International student?
Yes, you can hire an International student and there are no special requirements to do so. International students are required to apply for a work permit through Citizenship and Immigration and the work permit allows International Co-op Students to work off campus in Co-op approved positions. The Co-operative Education department will assist International students with this process and students are required to have a work permit prior to going out on work terms. International students are also required to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Employers may also wish to contact their Human Resources department or hiring managers to review company policies and procedures on hiring International students.
6) Is there any additional paperwork that needs to be completed if I hire an International Student?
Students will already have their Work Permit and a social insurance number prior to being hired. The only paperwork that is required is the necessary paperwork for your organization.
7) What are the benefits of hiring an International Co-op student?
There are many benefits of hiring a Co-op student. Students are available year round and can provide solutions to short term staffing needs. Students are energetic and eager to learn and will bring creative fresh new ideas to the workplace. Companies can also use the Co-op Program as a recruitment tool to pre-screen future employees. In addition to the above mentioned benefits that any co-op student offers to the workplace, International students can enrich the workplace by providing staff with an opportunity to learn about another culture, they may have other language skills an employer may find useful and like their domestic peers they are eager to make positive contributions.
8) If I hire a Co-op student what is our role?
The Co-operative Education program is a method of learning where students can apply what they have learned in the classroom to real world situations. The Co-op Program is a great opportunity for students to learn and gain hands on work experience from a mentor within your organization. Students can ask questions and gain knowledge from mentors. As well, mid-way through the work term, a member of our Co-op team will contact you to set up a site visit to discuss the student's responsibilities and progress. We also meet with the student to discuss their progress and accomplishments. If you have any questions or comments about the student or the Co-operative Education program at any time, you can contact any member of our team at 902-420-5641.