BA Breadth Requirements
In your first year, we recommend using the B.A. Breadth Requirements outlined below as a guide for choosing your courses.
The purpose of the B.A. Breadth Requirements is to:
- create a strong foundation into university – with a variety of logical and analytical courses
- allow you to explore subjects from Arts, Science and Commerce
- help you develop important intellectual and academic skills that you will use throughout your program
- provide you with courses you can use if you decide to switch faculties
A) Three (3) credit hours in English at the 1000-level.
B) Six (6) credit hours from the following:
- Philosophy 1200 (Critical Thinking). This is a six (6) credit hour course and no other Philosophy course satisfies this requirement.
- A course in mathematical science (MATH 1190, MATH 1202, MGSC 1205, MGSC 1206 or CISY 1225)
- A language other than English
- A natural science (ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, ENVS, GEOL, PHYS; please note that PSYC courses do not fulfill this requirement)
C) Nine (9) credit hours from at least TWO of the following programs:
- Atlantic Canada Studies
- Asian Studies
- English Language and Literature
- Intercultural Studies
- Irish Studies
- Philosophy (other than PHIL 1200)
- Religious Studies and Modern Languages courses that focus on literature and/or culture.
D) Twelve (12) credit hours from at least THREE of the following programs:
- Environmental Studies
- Health, Wellness and Sport in Society
- International Development Studies
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- Political Science
- Social Justice & Community Studies
- Women and Gender Studies