Research Ethics Board
Ethics Review Request Forms
Prior to the submission of their work, applicants are advised to review the below, "Procedures for Completing Requests for Research Ethics Review", determine the correct request form relating to their submission and the correct method for submission, "Working with Request Forms- Technical Instructions and Tips" and the "Application Process- Instructions and Tips". For additional assistance, please see the "Method of Communication" summarizing the path of communication with the REB.
In order to ensure timely registration and turn-around time of requests to all SMU REB applicants and the SMU REB membership, incomplete applications for initial and continuing review requests submitted using incorrect or outdated forms will not be processed and will be returned to the Principal Investigator applicant (in case of student research, to the Faculty Supervisor applicant) to the location indicated on the submission when the registration or the processing of the request is not possible requesting resubmission. To avoid any delays, ensure to only use the forms provided on this web page.
To support the research community, common applicant questions are listed under the "Frequently Asked Questions" section of this website relating to "Pre-Approval" (New Submission) and "Post-Approval" (Continuing Review). If you require specific guidance or a pre-review, please contact the Research Ethics Officer to book a consultation at email@example.com.
Guidelines to Facilitate Completion of a Request for Research Ethics Review:
Sample/Template Documents for your preparation:
Pre-approval (New Submission) Request Forms:
- Form 1 - Application for Ethics Review of Research Involving Humans
- Form 1C - Application for Ethics Review of Research Involving Humans Approved at Another Canadian Institution
Post-approval (Continuing Review) Request Forms:
(Electronic Submission to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Adverse Event Report Form
- Form 2- Modification Request Form *
- Form 3- Annual Renewal Request Form *
- Form 5- Completion of Research Request Form *
*Electronic submission (of the specified continuing review forms) must be received from the Prinicipal Investigator of the protocol. In case of student research, forms must be received from the Faculty Supervisor. Note, original signature is not required.
**Form 6 is only submitted prior to initial REB approval. Applicants should only submit one copy of Form 6 acoompanied by one copy of Form 1.
Working with Request Forms - Technical Instructions and Tips
Forms are Adobe fillable, savable, PDF forms; work can be saved and returned to at a later time. When working with the forms: 1) Ensure your Adobe Reader is updated, 2) Open the forms using Adobe Reader (otherwise the recipient is unable to view the content of the form.)
The REB advises against opening the forms using Mac Preview. The Centre for Academic Technologies (CAT) advises that if Mac Preview is used, after you have filled out the PDF form in Preview, choose Print from the File menu and then use the dialog box's PDF option to save it to PDF.
Additional blank space is available on Form 1 for additional information you many need to convey, and additional supporting documents are welcome along the forms when needed.
For technical assistance while working with the forms please contact the CAT lab at email@example.com, 902-496-8168. The CAT lab reports any technical issues to the Office of Research Ethics.
Application Process- Instructions and Tips
Initial Pre-Approval Requests for original research ethics review and approval:
- Form 1- Initial Submission:
1 original package, plus 3 copies of:
a) Form 1 or Form 1C;
b) Informed Consent Form/Script;
c) all supporting documentation as relevant to your research.
- Form 1C Submission:
a) 1 original package is required
- Supporting Documents:
Generally, supporting documents are interview protocols, surveys, questionnaires, scales, scripts, draft interview questions, invitation letters, letters of support, feedback forms, debriefing forms, advertisements, other research tools as relevant to the research, letters of support, other REB or government clearances, safety reports involving devices or materials used in the research evidencing compliance to Canadian standards, etc. Form 1 lists options for documents that must be included in the submission.
- Be sure to review the Procedures for Completing Requests for Research Ethics Review guideline that stipulates the SMU REB's requirements.
- Forms are routinely updated. Be sure to download the most current application form from this web page.
Continuing Review Requests (Adverse Event Reporting, Modification, Annual Renewal and Completion of Research requests):
- Submission via email is accepted as well as the preferred method for both applicants and the Office of Research Ethics due to the time-sensitive nature of these requests. Only one copy of the request form (Adverse Event, Form 2, 3, 5) is required. Requests are accepted from the Principal Investigator of the protocol or, in case of student research, from the Faculty Supervisor, only. Student researchers must ask their supervisors to forward the request(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.