Safety & Security
Residence Services Officers (RSOs) are Saint Mary’s University students, many of whom live in residence. We provide security and information 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year long. We also respond to emergency situations; i.e. medical emergencies and any situation that poses a potential threat to the safety and security of all residence students.
Residence Services works to ensure a safe and secure environment for residence students and to maintain a comfortable living environment. All officers go through seven days of training which includes training in non-contact intervention, customer service, technical procedures, the Student Disciplinary Code, policies and procedures, emergency response, fire prevention and technical systems training.
Residence Services Strives to Inform, Educate, and Enforce.
The main focus of the RSOs is to educate students on policies, educate them as to why it is important, suggest ways in which problems can be minimized, and to ensure that policies are being followed, for the safety of all residence students.
RSOs Will Respond to the Following Emergency Situations
Medical Emergencies - Each RSO has successfully completed a course in emergency first aid.
Domestic Disturbances - These include any situation where the safety of an individual is at risk.
Photo ID Required in the Residence Complex
All persons entering the Residence Complex are required to carry picture identification and to provide it to staff when asked. Those who do not comply will be asked to leave the complex and not return until they can provide identification. The Residence Department reserves the right to ask persons to leave the complex for reasons they deem necessary (such as when the safety and security of residence students is compromised). If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Loyola Residence Desk.
When should I call the Loyola Residence Desk? 902-420-5591 or ext. 5591
- Emergency Situations (within the residence complex, or concerning residence students)
- Noise complaints
- Maintenance Concerns
- Questions regarding Residence and other residence students
- Questions regarding contacts within the residence department
Do not call the Loyola Residence Desk for any of the following:
- When you require information regarding students. To protect the privacy of residence students, no information will be provided! We often get phone calls from parents trying to reach their children who live in residence. We cannot provide phone extension numbers, so please ensure that anyone who may need to contact you has the proper information!
- Questions regarding academic concerns; i.e. Professor/Department numbers, and etc. Such information can be found in your academic calendar.
- University concerns not involving Residence. You can direct these concerns to University Security (Campus Security) at 902-420-5577 or ext. 5577.
- Questions concerning Husky Patrol. Husky Patrol is a service provided by SMUSA and University Security.
In situations where criminal activity, which places University property and the personal safety of students and staff at risk, is alleged to have taken place in residence, or when it is taking place in residence, the Residence Department will invite the Halifax Regional Police Department onto campus to investigate the matter and to detain suspects.
The Residence Department, on behalf of the University, will reserve the right to prosecute cases in either a criminal court of law or through the University judicial system, or both at the same time. The choice remains with the Residence Department and its Director, Housing & Conference Services or an appointed delegate.