New Student Information
Congratulations! Deciding to leave home for University is a very exciting time. We've compiled some information to make the transition a little easier. If you have any questions, check out our frequently asked questions page.
Please note: The University cannot assume responsibility for luggage or trunks shipped in advance of the your arrival. Trunks or luggage that arrive early are not accepted. The University will not accept any COD luggage or parcels for any student at any time during the year.
Your residence room will be your home for the academic year; please bring whatever you need to make it comfortable.
You are advised not to bring valuable possessions into residence. All personal belongings must be insured.
Items you'll likely want to bring with you:
Please be aware that the University does not provide:
The University provides phones and local phone service, as well as cable and access to unlimited Internet on the university network.
You will need:
- Your own computer, either desktop or laptop
- A brand name Ethernet card installed in your computer including a RJ45 patch cord.
You will need to register your computer's Ethernet card MAC address with the University's Information Technology Support and Services Department (ITSS). Of course, you must agree to abide by the Saint Mary's code of computer conduct or face possible disconnection.
To obtain internet access on campus, register your computer, or get information on wireless internet access, please visit ITSS website. Students must agree to abide by the Saint Mary's code of computer conduct or face possible disconnection.
Questions or concerns with campus computer network should be directed to the ITSS Service Centre at 902-496-8111.
- Each desk in residence is equipped for a computer.
- You will need to bring your own electronics - TV, VCR, DVD Player, stereo, etc.
- If you are moving into an apartment in the Edmund Rice Residence, you'll also need to bring cooking supplies, dinner ware, cutlery, etc.
Items Not To Bring To Residence
- Animals/Pets are not permitted in the residences and students who are found to be keeping them in their apartment will be asked to remove them. Failure to comply may result in dismissal from residence.
- The use or possession of firearms, ammunition, hunting/exotic knives, swords, target pistols, machetes and flammable or hazardous substance are not permitted in the residence.
- Drapes, furniture and/or personal items are not to be placed in an apartment in such a manner as to interfere with the heating system.
- Water beds and similar items of furniture are strictly prohibited in residence.
- The use of electric (or any) heaters is not permitted in any of the residences.
- Real/Live Christmas trees and tree lights are prohibited in the residences. Fire retardant artificial trees and mini-lights are acceptable.
- Halogen lamps are a fire hazard and are prohibited from the residences, as well as candles and lanterns.
Every bedspace will include the following:
- A desk, equipped with a phone, and hook-ups to the University Network and Internet.
- Chair for your desk.
- Closet space
- Wooden filing cabinet/bed-side table
Apartment Style Residences will also include a refrigerator and a stove.