The Counselling Centre
The Counselling Centre actively participates in student development and success by creating innovative educational programs, offering individual personal counselling along with collaborating with on and off campus programs and agencies to expand capacity around the mental health services to our students.
"This service was very helpful. The staff do a great job in terms of pointing you in the right direction."
To get a better sense of our Centre and the service we offer, we invite you to view the video below.
- Our service is available to all full and part time students currently registered and attending classes.
- Staff are not eligible to use The Counselling Centre as they have a separate EAP plan.
- Once students are no longer attending classes they are no longer eligible for our service but may be able to access a Counsellor/Psychologist through the Student Health Plan.
Counselling records are the property of the University. To view a file, clients should contact the Clinician they saw by phone or email.
- Prior to beginning counselling, students must consent for services by signing a required intake form.
- The intake form outlines the exceptions to confidentiality and by signing it you state that you have read and understood these exceptions.
- Counselling records are kept separate from University records. (Eg. Service Centre/Residence).
- We ask for 24 hours notice to cancel an appointment. Notice can be given by phone at 902-420-5615 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This allows us the opportunity to put a student on our waiting list in an appointment slot.
- If you miss two appointments without calling to cancel you will be required to contact the Assistant Director, Student Services and meet with her before another appointment time can be arranged.
- If you arrive 15 minutes or more late for your appointment it will be rescheduled so that other appointments can remain on time.
- All sessions are 50 minutes long and students normally are seen once every 2 weeks. The duration of counselling is determined by the Clinician.