African Descent Student Ambassador
The African Descent Ambassador has a role to not only represent the Black community on campus, but to ensure that this community supported throughout the duration of students academic life here at Saint Mary’s University.
Our services are centered around the following mandates:
1. Student Advocacy
2. Student Knowledge
3. Student Heritage
And these services are listed as follows, but not limited to:
● Ensuring the campus resources cater to black stdents’ needs
● Celebrating the multi-faceted identity of Black students on our campus, and beyond.
● Updating and promoting campus resources to students
● Student Life support, and providing a link to on an off campus black communities, and
● Maintaining a strong online presence via social media, and our webpage
● Confidencial advising and referrals for individuals or groups.
Each year a student is hired to carry forward the role of Student Ambassador. This year the SMU African Descent Ambassador is Samantha Manyika.
“A large part of my goals for this coming year is increasing interconnection amongst the dfferent Black communities here on campus. This is necessary for Black students to feel represented and supported on campus and can be done through increasing the number of community driven events. I believe it is important to celebrate the multi-faceted identity of Africa."
4th year Commerce Student
Zimbabwean born and raised
I am a foodie who loves sport related activities. I enjoy playng the piano or blogging in my spare time, you will find me on my headphones listening to music or an audiobook a lot.
Tuesdays, Thursdays: 1 - 4:30pm
Fridays: 9 - 2:30pm
To book an appointment or to query, please email:
Room 406, 4th floor, Student Centre
Please find the current edition of the 2018 African Descent Newsletter.
We update this handbook often, so please check back for more updates coming soon.
Another way to gain some experience and gather relevant information is to make contact with some of the organizations in the community that promote personal development and focus on issues and topics specific to those of African Descent. The following is a list of some of these organizations:
- Black Business Initiative
- Black Cultural Centre for Nova Scotia
- Halifax North Can-B Cluster
- Black Educators Association
- Nova Scotia Youth Secretariat
- African Canadian Services Division
- Council on African Canadian Education
- African Nova Scotian Affairs
- Immigrant Settlement & Integration Services
Note: Our African Descent Student Ambassador position is held by a student from October 1st to April 1st each year.