The Centre for the Study of Sport and Health builds upon Saint Mary’s University’s tradition of sporting excellence. It will extend the growing research competence in the area of sport and health that already exists at Saint Mary’s University. It is located in the Homburg Centre for Health and Wellness.
- To encourage interdisciplinary research on issues relating to sport, physical activity and healthful living.
- To encourage interdisciplinary research in community-based health research.
- To enhance communication between researchers, the community and government.
- To enhance and improve dissemination of research on sport and health issues through conferences, symposia and public forums.
- To establish interdisciplinary undergraduate and graduate degree programming relating to sport, health and society.
The Centre for the Study of Sport and Health is committed to working cooperatively with other relevant research centers at Saint Mary’s University and around the world.
Past and Future Projects
Drawing upon the research activities of those interested in sport and health studies, the CSSH has sponsored a number of conferences and symposia, issued publications arising out of them, attracted visiting scholars and post-doctoral fellows to the University. The CSSH hosted a major hockey conference in July 2012 and will host the prestigious North American Society for the History of Sport conference in May 2013. A number of internationally renowned scholars in the field have committed to coming to the University as short-term research associates of the Centre.
|Past Activities and Conferences||Current Activities and Conferences|
|June 2012 Putting it On Ice Hockey Conference||Soccer Attrition Studies|
|Constructing the Hockey Family: Home, Community, Bureaucracy and Marketplace||Sport Immigration Exhibit|
|Hockey Conference Proceedings||Leading Healthy Teams Research|
|Sports Hall of Fame Collaboration||Sport Performance Enhancement through Taichi Qigong Research|
|Critical policy formation in sport and health||Youth Resiliency: Motivation for Success Programming and Research|
|Resource support for documentary film-maker||Positive Leadership Research and Programming|
|Sport Psychology and Minor Hockey Project||Youth at Risk Goal Setting Psychological Health & Safety Research|
|May 2013 North American Society for Sport History Conference||Sporting Borderlands Research|
|October 2014 Transnational Lacrosse Conference||Lifeguard Recruitment Research|