Student Employment with ITSS
Position Summary: Lab Assistant
Computer Lab Assistant responsibilities include, but are not limited to the frequent review of the Saint Mary's systems, both hardware and software set forth by ITSS. Being able to follow procedures, troubleshoot problems, report malfunctions, and observant to unusual situations in the lab environment.
Responsibilities/Specific Job Duties
- Provides support to students, faculty, and staff
- Refers questions to ITSS Helpdesk when necessary
- Exercise proper procedures
- Ensures that all equipment is treated with care and is not removed without the proper authorization
- Logs equipment damage and malfunctions with management
- Records required statistical information for reporting purposes
- Provides assistance and support for printers, computers, and other equipment
- Troubleshoot and if possible, resolve lab printing and hardware problems
- Understand and perform inventory of lab supplies
- Enforce ITSS and University policies in computer labs
- Participate in team projects that enhance the quality and efficiency of the computer labs
- Other duties as assigned by the ITSS Department
Qualifications / Special Skills Required
- Be a registered student at SMU
- Prior knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, SMUport, Banner etc.
- Best suited for students in their 2nd year of studies or more
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to demonstrate troubleshooting competence
- Have the ability to analyze and solve problems
- Feel confident to work independently
- Able to share and work as part of a team
- Have an outgoing and helpful personality
In order to apply, you must fill out the application form and submit it along with a resume, two letters of reference from professors or employers and your hours of availability. Please email the entire application to Shelley MacAskill. Letters of reference from professors or employers may be emailed directly.
Position Summary: Part Time Help Desk Staff
Under the supervision of Help Desk Team Leader, Part Time Help Desk Staff provides IT support to the university community. The candidate follows ITSS procedures and guidelines, troubleshoots problems and reports malfunctions. Additionally, the candidate researches and proposes strategies for improving service levels, staff training strategies, etc.
** Please Note: We are currently ONLY looking for students whose schedules allow for shifts mainly within the 8:30am - 1pm or 1pm - 5:30pm timeframes from Monday to Thursday. **
Responsibilities/Specific Job Duties:
• Provides IT support to students, faculty, and staff
• Troubleshoots computer, network, and phone related problems
• Creates, updates, and maintains articles for ITSS knowledge base
• Enters service calls into ITSS call tracking system
• Assigns service calls to Tier 2 ITSS support as required
• Escalates any system outages immediately to management as required
• Performs other related duties as required
Qualifications / Special Skills Required:
• Be a registered student at SMU, preferably in 2nd year of studies or above
• Prior knowledge of Microsoft Application Software, SMUport, Self-Service Banner etc.
• Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to demonstrate competence in troubleshooting IT-related issues
• Feel confident to work independently
• Able to share and work as part of a team
• Have an outgoing and helpful personality
In order to apply, you must fill out the application form, and submit it along with a resume, two letters of reference from professors or employers, and an outline of your hours of availability. Please email the entire application to Lorraine Helson.