The logo element of the template header section
Angle element of the template header section.

International Activities

Emergency Contacts

The International Activities Office recommends that you consolidate travel details and contact information in one or two pages, for two reasons:

  • as a quick reference to carry with you
  • to leave behind as a useful reference for your family or office while you are away. (When the tsunami hit Asia on Boxing Day 2004, Foreign Affairs Canada received hundreds of calls from people who were trying to get news about friends or relatives. However, most callers had little information about the people they were trying to track down – they didn't know where they were staying, their passport numbers, or even their dates of birth. As a result, it was difficult or impossible for Foreign Affairs to assist them.)


  1. When making note of telephone and fax numbers for the use of family and friends, be sure to format them for use when dialing from Canada, i.e. for an international call: 011 + country code + area code + number.
  2. These notes refer to consular services for Canadian passport holders. If you travel with a different passport, please adapt accordingly.
  3. To identify the embassy or consulate with responsibility for Canadians in your host country, consult and select “Travel Reports.”
  4. The same web site, under the link for “Emergencies”, describes a variety of ways to contact the Consular Affairs Bureau of Foreign Affairs Canada in Ottawa, which is staffed 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week. Toll-free numbers and other contacts vary by region, so it's worth checking in advance and identifying which method is most likely to be useful for you and yours.
  5. The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada offers a registration service for all Canadians travelling or living abroad. This service is called Registration of Canadians Abroad, or is also known as ROCA. This service is provided so that they can contact and assist you in an emergency in a foreign country or inform you of a family emergency at home. You can register on-line or by contacting a Canadian government office abroad. The system was upgraded in December 2008.

Click Here for Traveller's Summary of Contacts