Be a part of Saint Mary’s continued success
There are two primary ways to give:
Gifts now include cash, securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds), personal property and real estate. You can direct these gifts to a specific area of interest, or you can allow us to direct them to the area of greatest need. Outright gifts can be claimed as a charitable tax deduction in the year they are made. Learn more about outright gifts.
Gifts in the future are donations made through your will, trusts, charitable gift annuities and other arrangements. These gifts provide a lasting legacy of support to Saint Mary’s and may offer significant tax advantages for the donor. Learn more about planned gifts.
Supporting Saint Mary’s University is easy. Simply choose the donation method that works best for you:
- Donate in memory or in honour
- If you would like to make a donation in honour or in memory of a special person, please indicate this on your donation form [PDF].
- You can also donate in honour or in memory online.
- The Development Office will send a notification card to the recipient you indicate.
- Cheques and money orders should be made payable to Saint Mary's University and indicate where you would like to direct your gift.
- Please complete the donation form [PDF] and mail to the address provided on the form.
- Faculty and staff members of Saint Mary’s, please complete the faculty and staff payroll deduction form and mail to the address provided on the form.
- You may donate shares of publicly listed securities using the donation of securities form.
- Credit card gifts can be accepted over the phone.
- Visa, Mastercard and American Express accepted.
- 902.492.4483 or toll-free 1.888.768.4483.
- In person
- Alumni and Development House, 867 Robie Street, Halifax.
- Regular business hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday to Friday).
- Or you may contact the Development Office at 1.888.SMU.GIVE (768.4483) to arrange a specific time to make your donation.
- Automatic monthly withdrawals
- Set up automatic monthly withdrawals from a credit card or chequing account – an easy way to spread your giving throughout the year.
- To arrange, simply call us at 902.492.4483 or toll-free 1.888.SMU.GIVE (768.4483) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Residents of the United States
- Saint Mary's University is fortunate to have the support of many alumni and friends in the United States.
- If you or a member of your immediate family attended Saint Mary's, you may make a gift to the university and use your charitable tax receipt to claim the donation against your U.S. income on your income tax return.
- Otherwise, U.S. residents and U.S.-based organizations can make their gifts to the Friends of Saint Mary's University (FSMUI), which is a U.S. charitable organization. Gifts to FSMUI are tax deductible for U.S. tax purposes. Download the information sheet and a pledge form [PDF] or contact our Development Office.