Writing Centre and Academic Communications
What can I expect at the Writing Centre?
Our goal is to help you become a better thinker and writer. Tutoring helps you understand how to strengthen your writing now and in the future.
The centre’s tutors will work with you to:
- Develop and determine a direction for your paper or assignment.
- Strengthen your paper or assignment.
- Identify reoccurring grammatical errors or structural problems.
If you don't know where you are going wrong with your writing, we can help.
What should I not expect during a tutorial?
The centre does not:
- Proofread or edit papers
- Comment on the content
- Comment on a graded paper
- Comment on a professor or instructor
- Offer suggested grades for a paper or assignment
What should I bring with me to a tutorial?
- Student ID
- Your assignment instructions or question(s)
- A hard copy of your writing
- Any notes or previously marked assignments, as this may facilitate the tutor’s understanding of your specific needs
- Specific questions or specific areas that you feel need improvement - if you don't know, that is okay!
We will not work on electronic versions of the document.
How long do tutorials last?
- A scheduled appointment is 50 minutes
- A drop-in appointment is 20 minutes
How do I sign up?
- Register and book appointments online.
- Call 491-6202
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Drop by the office (Burke 115)
When is the Centre open?
May 1st to August 31st:
- Burke 115 -- Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
What else does the Writing Centre offer?
- All appointments must be cancelled at least 24 hours in advance
- Failure to appear for a booked appointment will result in a block of access to the centre's services
- A $10.00 cancellation fee will be charged
- Failure to pay this fee may result in withheld transcripts
- Cancellation fee payment is made through Banner at the Service Centre
- Blocks may be lifted by contacting the Director, Brian Hotson.
During weather closures, students missing appointments will not be charged this fee.
This policy was developed due to a large number of 'no show' appointments and is in keeping with other academic writing centres' policies.
If you have any questions, please contact the Centre.