New Product Competition 2018 Results
Date Published: April 5, 2018
Over the course of two months, students in groups worked to create sustainable new products for the retail sector. Tasked with developing a minimum viable product (MVP) and with a clear path to market, the entrepreneurially minded student teams brainstormed, validated their ideas, went through the customer discovery process and created their MVPs.
The 2018 New Product Competition was an opportunity for the students to:
- Start a business a safe and supportive environment
- Learn the process of creating a new product and taking it to market
- Gain important skills in market assessment, new product and prototype development, and 3D design
- Access free resources that would otherwise cost hundreds of dollars
- Create a product that could become the “next big thing” in retail
- Showcase creative and innovative skills
- Improve sustainability within the retail sector
Mycelia: Bags and accessories made from sustainable materials such as mushroom leather, hemp and wood. Learn more here
StaktLunch: Delivery service guaranteeing a steady supply of nutritious and healthy meals. Learn more here
GoSonik: Acoustic technology used in keeping pets free from pests such as ticks and fleas. Learn more here
Surround Shower: Easy-to-install and adjustable dual-headed shower head unit that allows for maximum coverage and optimal water use. Learn more here
Surround Shower won the top prize, $10,000 in seed funding and $500 for each team member. In second place, GoSonik secures $5,000 capital and individual cash prizes of $300.