Residence Network Connection
Services for Students
To connect to the SMU network in residence, you must have the following:
- An ethernet or network adapter for cable internet - most newer computers come with an ethernet adapter. You attach your patch cord to this port. Please note that while campus ports allow for 10, 100 and 1000 base-T adapters, residence ports only accept 10 base-T adapters.
- A patch cord looks like a phone cord, but has a larger connector on the end. Plug one end into your network adapter and the other end into a data port on the wall. Patch cords can be purchased at the Bookstore in the Student Centre.
- You’ll also need to have your computer account set up (your s# and password)
Accessing Campus Internet
• Open an Internet browser window. This should take you to the registration page (if it does not, type “netreg” in the browser address line).
• Enter your s# and password.
• Scroll down to the bottom of the Computer Usage Policy and press Accept.
• Restart your computer. You should now be able to browse the Internet.
More Detailed Instructions