Faculty of Science
Interested in studying Forensic Science? This summer, take part in our first five-day Forensic Science Camp. This camp, geared for teens ages 14-17 (grades 9-12), will introduce campers to the basics of this exciting field. Through hands-on application of lab and field-based research techniques and practices, campers will work together to explore how the Sciences are applied in Forensic situations as well as the theories and principles underlying these applications.
Join us as we explore topics such as:*
- Crime scene examination and evidence collection (through mock crime scenes)
- DNA extraction and examination
- Detection of body fluids
- Fingerprint collection and analysis
- Hair and fibre examination (microscopy)
- Examination of skeletal remains
- Examination of bloodstain and blood spatter patterns
- Mock trial and presentation of evidence
- Meeting with professionals in the field
- Career and education opportunities available to them in Forensic Science
*Students may be shown disturbing subject matter, such as images and false blood splatter.
This camp would also aim to:
- Provide experience working as a team with a common goal
- Improve levels of maturity and responsibility
- Develop self-confidence in presentation skills, project management, and critical thinking
- Provide space and time to explore the applications of sciences in Forensics so that students can better identify areas of individual interest
Is Forensic Camp right for you?
- Do you have a keen interest in science, both hands-on and theoretical?
- Do you want to gain hands-on experience?
- Are you motivated to learn, and are you responsible?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, then our Forensic Science Camp seems like a good fit!
Still have questions? Email email@example.com
Monday, July 16 to Friday, July 20, 2018
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m; session runs 9-4 p.m. with drop off and pick up times included
Lunch: Pack your own lunch (No nuts or peanuts please)
Location: Saint Mary’s University, Science Building
Cost: $350 per camper.
How to Apply
Summer 2018 Application Deadline: Friday, April 13, 2018
The application has two parts:
- 2018 Forensic Science Camp application form (PDF) or 2018 Forensic Science Camp application form (Word), including Academic Performance information*
- Student Essay
Please note that although academic performance is considered when evaluating applications, it is not a primary determinant of acceptance; considerable weight will be put on student essays as well.
Submitting your Application
The camp is now full.
c/o The Dean of Science Office
Saint Mary's University
923 Robie Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3C3
I have applied. What happens next?
Once we've received your application, we will send you a response by email or regular mail. If you are accepted, we will then request that you complete your registration, which requires you complete and return the following supplied documents:
- Registration Form
- Parental Consent Form to complete your enrollment
Once your registration is complete, you will receive confirmation of enrolment - and we'll see you in July!