Writing Centre and Academic Communications
Tutoring support for EGNE 1206 students
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 10:00 - 5:00, in Burke 211
Tuesday, Thursday 1:00 - 5:00, in Burke 211
Tutoring support for BIOL 2304 students
Monday through Friday, 1:00 - 5:00, in Burke 211
Book an appointment online
When booking online, please choose the correct schedule for your course from the drop-down menu.
The Writing Centre's Science and Engineering tutoring program offers FREE help with:
- Format and organization of lab reports and other assignments
- Tables and figures
- Paraphrasing and citations
- Rewriting and revision
- Grammar and punctuation
- And any other writing questions!
To Receive Your Bonus Marks, You Must:
- Attend at least 3 tutoring sessions
- Bring your punch card to every session
- Submit your completed card to your instructor at the end of the semester
What to Expect at Tutoring
- The program's goal is to help students become better science writers. Tutors will work with you to identify challenges you are facing and give you strategies for addressing them.
- Tutors will not correct, fix, or edit your papers. They will help you get better at doing this yourself.
- Tutors do not grade assignments and cannot comment on grades you're likely to receive from your instructor.
- Book your appointment as early in your writing process as possible. This will give you adequate time to incorporate feedback into your drafts. Tutoring will also be very busy just before deadlines - reserve your spot early to avoid disappointment!
- You may come to tutoring as often as you need to. Following a session, however, you must work on your assignment on your own before you can return for additional help.
- If you've already started working on your draft, you must bring a hard copy printout. Tutors cannot work on laptops or other electronic devices.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, you must do so no later than 10:00 AM that day. Failure to attend a scheduled appointment will result in loss of your bonus marks.
Handouts and Guides
General Science Writing Resources
Scientific Style - Information on tone, passive voice, and use of the literature in scientific papers.
Scientific Vocabulary - Words that have different meanings in science writing than in conversational or general academic English.
Popular Science Writing - How to write about science and engineering for the general public.
On Writing Lab Reports
LAB REPORT STYLE GUIDE 2017 - A comprehensive guide to writing a lab report.
IMRAD Lab Report Format - Reviews the sections of a lab report and their purposes. Lists the types of information each section should include.
Abstracts - Types of abstracts, with sample paragraphs.
Introduction - General Guidelines - Guidelines for writing the Introduction section, with sample paragraphs
Introduction - Checklist - Content and style tips for writing Introductions, with additional samples
Materials & Methods - General Guidelines - Guidelines for writing Materials and Methods sections, with sample paragraphs.
Materials & Methods - Common Problems - Four common writing challenges, with advice on how to avoid them. Good and bad sample paragraphs are included.
Results - General Guidelines - Guidelines for writing Results sections, with sample paragraphs.
Results - Do's and Don'ts - A checklist for Results sections, including good and bad sample paragraphs.
Conclusions - General Guidelines - Guidelines for writing Conclusions (Discussion) sections, with sample paragraphs.
Conclusions - Checklist - Advice on content and style of Conclusions (Discussion) sections, with examples.
Figures - Guidelines for producing effective figures.
Tables - Guidelines for organizing and formatting tables.
Copies of these handouts are also available at tutoring. For handouts on grammar and other general writing issues, visit the Writing Centre's Handouts page. Additional materials are also available through Writing Help Online.
Useful Links and Online Resources
The Writing Centre,
Rm 115, Burke Building,
Saint Mary's University,
923 Robie Street,
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3C3
902-491-6202 | email@example.com