Faculty of Education
Teacher Certification Program
Saint Mary's University and the University of Maine at Presque Isle have established a program that allows students to qualify for Teacher Certification.
Eligibility & Nova Scotia Teaching Regulations
This is a valuable opportunity for students who began their university education after August 1, 2000, and who are interested in P-12 teaching as a career. For certification as a teacher, Nova Scotia regulations require these students to complete three years of undergraduate arts and science courses plus two years of education courses, one semester of which is practice teaching.
This program provides several benefits:
- International experience
- Certification as a teacher in both Maine and Nova Scotia
- A reduced tuition rate (New England/Maritime) at the University of Maine at Presque Isle for Saint Mary's students who are Canadian, Saint Mary's international students are entitled to the out-of-state rate
- Conditional early admission to the University of Maine at Presque Isle at the end of the second year at Saint Mary's University
- Guaranteed admission to the University of Maine at Presque Isle for all qualified applicants
- Waiver of application fees at the University of Maine at Presque Isle
- Completion of practice teaching in many locations, including Nova Scotia
Students who wish to take advantage of this opportunity must complete an undergraduate degree at Saint Mary's of at least 30 half (15 full) arts and science courses, including the following:
- the undergraduate course required for teacher certification in both Maine and Nova Scotia for the level and subject the student wishes to teach
- 5 half (2.5 full) Education courses
Students must also apply to enter the Bachelor of Science in Education program at the University of Maine at Presque Isle.
What to Expect at University of Maine at Presque Isle
At Presque Isle, students will complete two semesters of Education courses (rather than the three which would otherwise be required). Students will then complete one semester of Practice Teaching, which may be done in any of several locations in Maine, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (including Cape Breton).